Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Venting

I would referr you to reading your install manual, and Mechanical Code 2006 (Chapter called Venting).

Next you going to tell me 80% furnaces have to have two pipes.

regards,
    Kelvin

Jeff

A picture is worth a thousand words.
    I would like to see a picture of the pipe on the outside of the house. Also, how many feet is the 2 inch pipe start measuring off the 3 inch pipe.

regards,
    Kelvin

Maybe I wasnt clear. The inlet pipe is REQUIRED for that furnace. Can you post a pic of the outside termination?

Re: Jeff

Originally posted by klyons20
    A picture is worth a thousand words.
    I would like to see a picture of the pipe on the outside of the house. Also, how many feet is the 2 inch pipe start measuring off the 3 inch pipe.

regards,
    Kelvin
    I'll post this for you to see, but please hold on. I may not be able to get to the roof to take the picture until the weekend. I do appreciate the input!

Originally posted by docholiday
    Maybe I wasnt clear. The inlet pipe is REQUIRED for that furnace. Can you post a pic of the outside termination?

I'll post a picture (see previous post). Also, I seem to recall several figures in the installation instructons showing systems without inlet pipes (i.e., taking interior air from a vented space). I'll post these, too. Thanks for the interest and help!

Re: Re: Re: Pressure ?

>>>>INSTRUCTIONS are Guidelines, NOT Requirements.

It appears that the 2" PVC has been there for 20 years.<<<<

If factory installation instructions are not followed by the installer, then the factory warranty is rendered null and void... so says my Coleman warranty. May I suspect this is the case with all furnace warranties?

I would expect the guy bidding and installing to know what the new furnace needs. You should have been told in the beginning that the old pipes would not work and trying to use them shouldn't have even been considered. What some on here think I find hard to believe but I stick with my opinion that it should have been bid and installed according to the installation instructions. Anything else is not an option.

i would have ran 3" all the way and reduce 3x2 just before exiting to the out side.to reduce where they did is just pure lazy and sloppy.purple primmer UGLY,clear primmer allways ( ruud 75,000 furnace 2inch pipe=20 feet + 2 elbows/45 maximum 3" pipe=65 feet + 6 elbows/45

single pipe installation

docholiday,

The diagram that was posted says for a non-direct vent combustion installation... So, that furnace can be used in a single pipe installation.

regards,
    Kelvin

That same diagram also says for vertical venting only. you're welcome to post the non-direct vent tables for horizontal if you can find them for the Mod. (They dont exsist)

Although, the OP has now mentioned going to the roof, if thats the case and it is indeed a roof or vertical termination, then he can go with single pipe but the 2" has to go and 3" has to be run to the roof because he will have exceeded the lenght for 2.

Details gentlemen, details.

Re: single pipe installation

Originally posted by klyons20
    docholiday,

The diagram that was posted says for a non-direct vent combustion installation... So, that furnace can be used in a single pipe installation.

regards,
    Kelvin
    Single pipe vertical termination only. Horizontal must be two pipe. I think Doc is under the impression this is being horiz. terminated.
    This is a premium system that is being hacked in. Wire terminations w/o a junction box, no regard for vent charts, (1)45 elbow count as (1) elbow in the chart- it is spelled out in the instructions. Why didn't they rotate the unit for easier access? I'm sure more pictures would reveal more issues.
    If I had paid for a premium system, I would expect the best of workmanship not the daily norm. Though to be fair the installer has not had a voice here.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pressure ?

Originally posted by whatthehay?
    >>>>INSTRUCTIONS are Guidelines, NOT Requirements.

It appears that the 2" PVC has been there for 20 years.<<<<

Are you suggesting that just because it's there it's acceptable? This is a different furnace with different venting requirements and who's to say the old one was vented properly?.

Hello, hapless homeowner here...

The vent pipe does go to the roof; here's a pic. It runs 14" above the black flange. If you look carefully, you can see that the furnace is running.

So, I guess it is this type of installation (see Fig. 11):

Here is a picture of the front of furnace. You can see the input and output vents. Also on the right see the hot water heater and the exisitng inlet air vent (please excuse the drooping tape and insultation on it; I slapped that on 18 years ago).

Finally, I measured the 2" pipe. It runs 18" from contraction to sill, turns (1 45 and 1 90 elbow) and runs 48" along sill, turns through sill (6") and up (2 90 elbows), runs up for 111", turns (45 elbow), runs another 54", turns (45 elbow), then 6" to roof, 16" to open air.

Total for 2" pipe: 21.4 ft, 3-45 deg elbows, 3-90 degree elbows.

I am hoping to call the company on Monday, and I will use your collected wisdom to plead my case. Thanks!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast