Thread: Homeowner just finished basement and needs HVAC solution

Post Likes

Question

Hello all. I am a homeowner who just finished my basement, which is around 450 sqft. The basement has 2 ceiling fans. All electrical outlets are 110 V. The basement is mostly a play room for my young children.

I need to understand what are my options to solve the heating and cooling problem. I live in the Atlanta, GA metro area.

I need to be able to heat the room in the winter and cool it in the summer. I also would like to be able to humidify during winter.

I understand I have choices:
    - window unit
    - through-the-wall unit
    - mini-split
    - portable

I could also use a radiant heat solution for the winter and use the ceiling fans for the summer. For the winter, I would need a separate, portable humidifier, which I don't like too much due to the maintenance required.

I don't think my HOA will let me install window or through-the-wall. I am still waiting for them to get back to me on this.

I am trying to stay away from central HVAC due to the costs.

Any insight on this will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Post Likes
    450 sq ft basement shouldn't need much heat. So a mini split heat pump should work fine.

Post Likes
    Most basements, atleast in my area don't need a humidifier in the winter, but they do need dehumidifiers.

Post Likes
    ductless mini split heat pump would work fine.they are very quiet and pretty efficient.

Post Likes
    What about your current HVAC system for the house? Since the space is small and does not have major heating or cooing requirements, you might be able to tap into ductwork you already have.
    You must have a condenser unit outside now. No HOA issues with adding another one for the mini-split?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in