Carrier Infinity Problems

I am having similar problems with my system, Error code 33-Limit Fault, & Error code 13-Limit Lockout. However, my system has been installed for almost two years and have not had problems previously. I did let the filter get dirty and did not replace it when I should have, and was getting errors (I don't think it was 13/33 but I could be wrong). I replaced it with a new filter (Filtrete 1000) and started to got 13/33 errors in the morning when it was heating the house from the setback. I finally replaced the filter with one of the cheaper blue ones from Home Depot, and I have not had any faults in the 2 days since I installed it. It would appear that the Filtrete was not letting enough air through and was causing the problem, does that sound correct? Is there something internal to the Infinity furnace that I can look at? I have not checked the outside air intake.. could that be causing problems?

BTW I just ran the furnace diagnostics (5 minutes in each stage) from the advanced menu and it did not get any errors.

Sounds like you have under sized duct work, and the filtrete is too restrictive.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

But it worked for over a year. It's not like I installed one for the first time and it started failing. I bought a bunch on sale at Shoprite last year and have been using them. Is there something inside the furnace that might need cleaning?

BTW it's a Filtrete 1250, not 1000 (looked at the package a few days ago). And still no failures since I switched back to the cheaper variety.

A/C coil may have just gotten dirty enough that its now too much, or a register or 2 are blocked or restricted
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    A/C coil may have just gotten dirty enough that its now too much, or a register or 2 are blocked or restricted
    Actually, it's a heating issue, not A/C. Could it also be the return air registers that could be the issue? I can see where those would be dirty since we never clean them. Or is it only an output issue?

I.e., is the problem that the system cannot suck enough air in, or that it cannot pump enough air out?

As you can tell, I am not very knowledgeable about this stuff.

A dirty A/C coil also effects the heating.

Could be several things. Including return issues.
    Contractor locator map

Twilly can't believe MrBill bought a Carrier infinity, quite dashing of him don't you think?
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

To infinity and beyond and Mr. Bill, I smell a toy story sequel. In all seriousness Mr. Bill it does sound like a restriction issue or combination of issues that have caught up to you. I would continue using the less restrictive filters until you can have your system evaluated for proper air flow and temperature rise. Letting the filter get to dirty may have allowed enough dirt to by-pass and start to obstruct the A coil. Best to have it checked, don't want to trash the furnace.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

viceman,

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post advice here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.