Question

Hi -- I am considering having an Armstrong heat pump installed to replace my current heat pump and would appreciate some advice.

$XXXX installed for 3 ton heat pump / air handler, 20KW heater pack, 13 SEER. Extra $XXX for variable speed air handler (Concept 1400)

Warranty is 5 years parts, 1 year labor, 10 years compressor without the variable speed air handler.

5 years parts and labor, 10 years compressor with the var. speed air handler.

This is considerably less expensive than the Trane option -$XXXX installed for 3 ton, XR13 13 SEER, 15KW, no variable speed air handler, 5 years parts, 1 year labor, 10 years compressor.

Unfortunately I don't know much about Armstrong, so I don't have much of a basis for comparison.

Thanks.
    S.

[Edited by BaldLoonie on 02-13-2006 at 02:42 PM]

Sorry for the edit but site rules don't allow posting prices. Not fair to your dealers. We don't know their costs, can't see the job so shouldn't be judging their pricing. Only way to judge is get a 3rd bid from a local contractor on similar equipment.

Armstrong heat pumps are good units. The 1400 with EFV blower would be a very nice unit. Copeland scroll compressor, TXV metering device, accumulator compressor protection (Trane doesn't use), loss of charge protection, (Trane doesn't use), nice cabinet. The EFV uses the GE motor technology everyone uses. Has capability of dehumidify on demand if desired.

The XR13 (except 5 ton) is a recip compressor. Personally I find better cold weather heating out of a scroll.

Thanks BaldLoonie -- here's the model # on the Armstrong heat pump: 2SHP13LE142/BCS2M42C/20KW/1F89

Can you tell me anything more about this unit?

Thanks again.
    S.

That's the enhanced new unit, not a Concept 1400. They did take the accumulator out of it, but still a nice unit, should be quieter than the old line. With the EFV, rates out at 13 SEER though, not 14 like the SHP14 did. With the BCS also 13 SEER.

Our supplier is just now getting them in, haven't seen one run yet.

Lots smaller than the Choo Choo too even though it looks similar.