Replacing permanent air filter w/disposable OK?
    I recently bought a home which has an Amana Air Command 80 furnace. I just checked the permanent filter and it was disgusting. I really don't like the idea of cleaning that thing out and re-using it. I bought a Filtrete 1250 disposable filter (by 3M) and it fits just fine.

I then found the original Amana manual and it says to use whatever type of filter it was installed with ... permament or disposable.

Is there a problem with using a disposable filter? (I don't mind spending the extra $$ every few months)

Thanks in advance!
    (first time checking out this forum, but I'm sure not the last!)

-Boltzie

Senior Tech Guest
    Nope, but check that one often...they cause my customers more bad then good...they're very dense and restrict air flow. Better off with the 1000.

Ok to replace with disposable, but those 3M's, especially the Ultra Alergen ones are WAY to restrictive on any A/C or Heat system. 3M Dust and Pollen Filter might be ok. I use this filter but I replace it every 3 weeks. If you want cleaner air, best to call a tech and get and April Aire 2200 or 2400 media filter installed.

the 3m filtrete for dust and pollen are usually pretty good stay away from the cheap ones you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the quick replies! I'll check out the dust & pollen ones, then. Is there going to be a problem with the restricted air-flow of the 1250 that I have for a few nights? I'll check to make sure it's not getting sucked into the fan.