Hello all, I'm a new tech and I have a question about union rates. I am not attempting to start a union debate. I live in the 787 (Ontario) local.

When you hire on at a union shop as a refrigeration mechanic or apprentice, is there extra money for carrying your gas licenses? I work non-union for more money then union apprentices, due to my gas/oil licenses, and I was wondering if there was money added on to your union rate for having those licenses. Any info would be great!

TR23

Hmm

Because it's a refrigeration union there is no added rate for your gas license. Many of our members don't do gas so they don't require a fitters license. It's been a topic of debate in regards to guys that have there refrigeration license and gas 1. But the way the union looks at it is your added money comes from job security, as where some refrigeration guys might be laid off in the winter. Personally I think a G1 should get more but that's just my opion.
    refrigeration workers of Ontario

By the way how do you know you make more than union apprentices, and are you including in pension and 10% vacation pay?

I know what the union rates are, for journeymen and apprentices, however I did not calculate vacation pay, pension or compare the benefit packages. I'm sure with these things in view the union apprentices would be equal or ahead of myself. In any case, I am interested in learning more about the union, and especially the excellent apprenticeship and training program I've heard 787 offers.

Well 787 apprentices have manditory night school for 4 years (or home study if you are from out of town.) There are courses going on almost every weekend if you want to take them. The topics range from centrifugal teardowns to BAS courses. As well we do all the TSSA brazing certification in house. Our trainers even do stuff out of town as long as there are enough people to make a class.
    The hall teaches basic,Intermediate and Advanced. They also do Gas tech 3,2,1. Our training facility is top notch.
    Go to there web site for more info.
    Alot of guys think they make comparable money but forget the pension.

Just wanted to add -
    UA 787 has a very impressive training program from what I've seen. I live in Florida but have been to UA instructor training, in Ann Arbor, twice. I had an opportunity to take the BAS instructor course in my second year and was in a boiler classs with a 787 member in my first year. Extremely impressive all the way around.

Well Done

Could some one tell me if the 787 home study class is avaliable to UA members in the US ? The reason i ask is that 787 has a long history of REFRIGERATION AND AC TRAINING.

not sure what they have for training available to members from other locals. Try contacting them at http://www.ua787.org then click on jtac. You never know what they might offer.
    The training center is going to be featured in the ua journal over the next few months.