Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dimming lights

Is it normal all the lights dim then my HP goes to the 2nd stage? And electrical panel makes some noise also for a few seconds; breaker does not get hot though. It's 5 or 4.5 ton HP 40amp breaker

I would call a NATE certified service company, the situation doesn't sound quite right, BUT, I am not there to see if it is normal or not. You can look up a NATE certified service company in your area by going to natex.org

I would call a certified ELECTRICIAN to check your panel. A NATE certified technician is NOT certified to troubleshoot your POWER panel. Leave that to the QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN.

Originally posted by cde72
    I would call a NATE certified service company, the situation doesn't sound quite right, BUT, I am not there to see if it is normal or not. You can look up a NATE certified service company in your area by going to natex.org
    The last time I checked on that site there were none in my area. Do you think a common tech has a chance of getting it right.

trane, since we constantly advise others to contact those that are qualified, we need to take our own advice. In your situation, your own superior skills and abilites will be sufficient.

this is not normal and you need to call a licenced electrician to check the panel. a tech {nate or not} can only check the equipment and should stop at the panel.

Lights dimming seems to be a common complaint with AC/HPs.
    Weak ground is a culprit sometimes.
    However , the box "making noises" indicates the posibility of arcing, usually a bus bar going bad which means you need to call a trician ASAP.
    The arcing will continue up the bar and potentially kill other breakers.

just for the record: my 100a breaker for my elec furn has buzzed for 5y. but it is NOT an arcing sound. I have checked the breaker for heating= none, inspected the terminals= ok, triggered all breaker ea 6 months, and expect no further problems.

but then, I am qualified -- just letting you know that all MAY not be bad.

be worried if the breaker triggers 2- 3 times. Do NOT reset it after that. Do not look at any breaker when resetting.

[Edited by cem-bsee on 02-12-2006 at 08:19 PM]
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

The reason your lights dim and the breaker box hums when your heat pump goes to 2nd stage is because I assume you have 2nd stage electric heat elements.
    Those heat strips pull a lot of amperage. All is probably fine, but if your worried have an Electrician check it out.

Originally posted by trane
    The last time I checked on that site there were none in my area. Do you think a common tech has a chance of getting it right.
    No not a chance. Not even an Experior certified Master Mechanic. (Required to pull permits in my area)
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

I would put more trust in a competent tech, than one that relies on his patches to back his experience or knowledge.

Originally posted by rsmith46
    The reason your lights dim and the breaker box hums when your heat pump goes to 2nd stage is because I assume you have 2nd stage electric heat elements.
    Those heat strips pull a lot of amperage. All is probably fine, but if your worried have an Electrician check it out.
    No actually it's 2stage HP with gas AUX (3rd stage)

Can you be more specific? Or would you like an answer as ambiguous as your question? Are there two compressors (Like a trane) is it one that has to stop before it goes into second stage? Or does it shift on the fly?

Since were guessing, I go with the weak ground.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast