Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow

I purchased an older brick home in Ventnor NJ (shore community) 2 story brick twin, walls are uninsulated with a 3' crawl space & a attic. The house currently has hot water radiator heat.(the boiler is in dire need of replacement).

I intend to install central air system My question is should I replace the boiler and just add the AC or go with a total heating and AC system ?

I ask this question because I keep getting varying opinions from qualified installers.

The house for now will be utilized as a second home and sometime in the future possible retirement home.

The sq footage is approx 1400sq.

Personally i would keep the boiler and add a heat pump a/c unit and lock out the heat pump at 40 degrees.

I've been told there is a special place in Hell reserved for folks who take boilers out of service and replace with scorched air. No confirmation on the truth to this & our pastor didn't care to research it for me, but he's a scorched air fan. I agree that a HP with temp lock out is a good alternative, but your installer will be able to determine what temp the HP should cease operating. Depending on your local energy costs this may be at 40, 35, 30 or maybe even lower.
    Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.

You do not want to pay the electric rates in this area for the HP. Replace the boiler and the highest seer A/C you can pay for. I live about 20 miles from you.
    Ephesians 2:8,9

I wouldn't want to run ductwork throughout my old brick home.
    A new boiler sounds like the way to go. And as far as A/C. Have you ever heard of mini ductless splits?

Originally posted by jodimart

You do not want to pay the electric rates in this area for the HP. Replace the boiler and the highest seer A/C you can pay for. I live about 20 miles from you.

the way gas prices in nj are going heat pump is definately more efficient. have been in business over 30 yrs without doing heat pumps. after being on this site and learning more about them, we just ordered one last week to go into my fathers house. he currently has hw baseboard and radiant. we are installing high eff heat pump with 90% eff gas vdrive furnace for dual fuel setup. will leave hw heat, new system will give him more options to what he wants to run.

Arrow ceiling mounted registers

No installer has mentioned a mini-ductless system. How would that apply to my house with divided living space. eg. 3 seperate bedrooms along with livingroom dinningroom and kitchen

If you can get ducts down to the first floor you dont need a mini split. Simetimes it is not possible so these work well.

http://www.mrslim.com/Products/userS...p?Commercial=0

Gas or oil ?

I would think two separate systems; if you have oil you can secure it during the warm months while not in use.

Arrow ceiling mounted registers

I can get ducts down to the first floor area and the AC unit can be installed in the attic so then if I understand you right I basically do not need a mini-split system

The general consenus is that I keep the gas hot water radiator system and go with conventional AC?

what are your thoughts on a high velocity system ? Is that something I should consider?

I am told that they are noisy is that something that I should be aware of, or has that problem been worked out of the system?

HV vs duct

Each is good check out the pricing

jasjam

The cost difference between A/C and Heat Pump is not that great. Get the Heat Pump, set up as duel fuel.

With the exceptions of the last 2 weeks this winter was perfect for heat pump operation. (Eastern LI)

Get more insulation in that house. You’ll get a better return on investment with insulation then any high efficiency equipment.

It is my opion that baseboard heat is alot more comfortable than warm air. With that said if this was my second home at the beach I would seriously consider warm air. I would get prices for each and if warm air wasn't alot more that would be the way to go. My biggest concerm would be heating pipes freezing in the middle of winter if the heat shut off. Have a plumber install drain fittings on all domestic water so that if you are not their you can shut off water main and drain pipes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast