Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2
    I am considering buying the ld30pt liberty slant fin. I receive giftcards as a perq from my employer and i currently have enough in home depot cards to buy the boiler, plus I have a coupon for a discount. I have my basement set for baseboard heat and I will have to add an additional zone to accomadate the extra area. My plumber is reluctant to touch my 35 year old boiler/ plus my heating bill is more than I would like to spend, and my hot water only lasts a few minutes because the coils are shot in the boiler. My upstairs has baseboard cast iron heat.

    I have searched for reviews on the slant fin pt and it does not come up as one of the most efficient boilers, is this because it has tankless hot water? My house is currently apx 1150 square feet and I hope to expand by about 850.00 square feet within the next 7 years, should this be a concern. I can also order lowes cards does anyone know what brand of boiler they carry? I dont need to do this right away but the only way I can afford it is to order thru one home depot or lowes so I just have to pay for labor in cash. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, Ny
    Posts
    632
    Originally posted by bigad
    I am considering buying the ld30pt liberty slant fin. I receive giftcards as a perq from my employer and i currently have enough in home depot cards to buy the boiler, plus I have a coupon for a discount. I have my basement set for baseboard heat and I will have to add an additional zone to accomadate the extra area. My plumber is reluctant to touch my 35 year old boiler/ plus my heating bill is more than I would like to spend, and my hot water only lasts a few minutes because the coils are shot in the boiler. My upstairs has baseboard cast iron heat.

    I have searched for reviews on the slant fin pt and it does not come up as one of the most efficient boilers, is this because it has tankless hot water? My house is currently apx 1150 square feet and I hope to expand by about 850.00 square feet within the next 7 years, should this be a concern. I can also order lowes cards does anyone know what brand of boiler they carry? I dont need to do this right away but the only way I can afford it is to order thru one home depot or lowes so I just have to pay for labor in cash. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Before you run out and buy the boiler off the shelf, you need to either do your home work or allow a professional. You need to find the heatloss of your home. You cannot accurately determine this by sq. ft.

    The heating system really should be left up to the pro's. Home Depot is not the place you should be looking to purchase a new heating system for your house.

    Also, you are not going to find anything high end at The Home Depot. If you are looking for the higher end eff. units, you'll be in for a schock at the sticker price. You're going to get what you pay for. Be careful.
    Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,666
    You mean SOOT FIN.
    What a piece of crap. It figures Home Depot is involved with them. Noone else will install them.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, Ny
    Posts
    632
    Originally posted by oil lp man
    You mean SOOT FIN.
    What a piece of crap. It figures Home Depot is involved with them. Noone else will install them.
    Yeah, your right.. I didn't want to scare him away so soon.

    I have seen a lot of them where the chambers fall apart after a few years. The way the breech is put together is just not practical. Just not a good boiler.

    I figured if he's looking to go to home depot for a boiler, It's like going to Harbor Frieght looking to tools.
    Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,666
    The chamber is so short thats why they fall apart so quickly. I usually spend a while trying to find a nozzle that will least likely cause sooting and back pressure. They are really not appropriate if the chimney doesn't draft well to begin with.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2
    yeah pretty much what i figured since I found nothing good so far about them in my research. Im probably better off saving until I can afford a better unit a few years down the line. Im in sales and the gift cards were the only way I could afford a boiler now. Its not like I need to put in the baseboard in the basement now, the boiler I have is 30 years old but its still working.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, Ny
    Posts
    632
    Originally posted by oil lp man
    The chamber is so short thats why they fall apart so quickly. I usually spend a while trying to find a nozzle that will least likely cause sooting and back pressure. They are really not appropriate if the chimney doesn't draft well to begin with.
    I use for:

    20's - 65 80W
    30's - 75 to 100 80W
    40's - 120 80W pump at 140 PSI
    50's - 135 80W pump at 140 PSI

    Keep the CO2 at 11 or less and the draft kinda high. They just need to breathe, although it kills the eff. a little it keeps them cleaner. JMO..
    Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,666
    Originally posted by atufano
    Originally posted by oil lp man
    The chamber is so short thats why they fall apart so quickly. I usually spend a while trying to find a nozzle that will least likely cause sooting and back pressure. They are really not appropriate if the chimney doesn't draft well to begin with.
    I use for:

    20's - 65 80W
    30's - 75 to 100 80W
    40's - 120 80W pump at 140 PSI
    50's - 135 80W pump at 140 PSI

    Keep the CO2 at 11 or less and the draft kinda high. They just need to breathe, although it kills the eff. a little it keeps them cleaner. JMO..
    Thanks. We have a few of them we service. Not many.
    Unfortunately they always seem to have exterior chimneys on ranch style homes, ie short chimneys. So poor draft is always an issue with these junks. I think for the 20 I used a .50 80 H at 100 psi just to keep the smoke to a zero.
    Last year I put a .60 80 A in it and I left the tag saying it was a trace smoke which I never do except this once. This year I found it was plugged and just days away from a puffback.

    [Edited by oil lp man on 02-13-2006 at 06:08 AM]

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    654
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by atufano

    I use for:

    20's - 65 80W
    30's - 75 to 100 80W
    40's - 120 80W pump at 140 PSI
    50's - 135 80W pump at 140 PSI
    I won't use the W nozzle any longer after just about EVERY boiler/burner combo has had issues with them it seems. Just yesterday nite I got a Riello F5 running sooooo much better with a .85-70B instead of that crummy .86-60W nozzle that's been changed 2 times in the past month.

    Concerning the SlantFin boiler, I don't mind them at all. Assuming the pump pressure is 140 or greater, and the fire is clean, these boilers work fine. I do admit, though, Co2 should be lower than most boilers just to keep them clean running longer.......these boilers don't tolerate soot accumulations whatsoever. If the boiler had the Carlin burner instead, that's a sweet combo that is works extremely well. Getting the boiler at Home Depot is fine too, there is no difference where the boiler is bought, they're all made at the same factory to begin with.




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,996
    You might see if HD will order an XL2000. Slightly better boiler. You might want to get an indirect tank like the HTP's Super stor. I've seen them carry those.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event