Thread: ran out of oil

I know should of checked b4 the storm.
    anyway going to hook up a 5 gal tank to my pump till the truck can get here mon.question; can i just connect to the line right in front of the filter? And,whats the second line comming from the bottom of the pump for?
    thx in advance.

The other line is a return line, return oil not burned to the tank. It needs to be put into your temporary tank too.

Why not just dump the 5 gals into the oil tank? But you may have to put in 10 gals to get it through a somewhat dirty oil filter.
    It will save you from having to repipe the oil line(s).

thx I did that, then my son went and turned the heat up to 75 and used it all up!, how long will 15gallons last with the heat turned around 67.(small ranch)

maybe a week to ten days.
    Obviously, it will also depend on how cold it is outside.

its only 0 F where I am,and I only use approx 2 gallons at the most a day, with a T stat set at 72 F....(1500 sq ft bungalow,c/w full heated basement)

You may have to add more. Once you get down to 10 gal with the sludge at the bottom, you might start pulling air into the lines.

Seems like you went through 5 gals. pretty fast.
    Did you put it in the oil tank? How big is the tank?
    Is the oil filter sludged up? The oil supply line might be sludged up as well.

You probly stirred up some of the sludge into the pump strainer and nozzel.

Youre right.... you shoulda checked before the storm. Odds are when you do get oil you will have a failure of sorts requiring at least a filter, likely a nozzle, and hopefully no deep soot cleaning.

Sludge

Put some sludge be gone in the tank before you fill up and then call for a full clean out and tune up. You still have a few months to go and you don’t want to be thinking about the system shutting down and having a freeze up. When was the last time you got service? Good luck