Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dog house hvac

Confused dog house hvac

This is for all my cold-weather buds.
    Aside from leaving your best friends inside all winter, any ideas on how to keep them warm? Right now we're trying to cohabitate with our 100 lb. husky, but he keeps us up all night pacing. He has a nice house outside, and he'd be just fine if it had a little heat, but the Montana winters can get a bit nippy. We've been looking at heated pet mats, which seem nice, but we don't know if he'll chew on one. I thought about putting a 100-wt bulb inside a sheet metal globe. Any other ideas?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by montanabama View Post
    This is for all my cold-weather buds.
    Aside from leaving your best friends inside all winter, any ideas on how to keep them warm? Right now we're trying to cohabitate with our 100 lb. husky, but he keeps us up all night pacing. He has a nice house outside, and he'd be just fine if it had a little heat, but the Montana winters can get a bit nippy. We've been looking at heated pet mats, which seem nice, but we don't know if he'll chew on one. I thought about putting a 100-wt bulb inside a sheet metal globe. Any other ideas?
    Thanks
    Husky's are Artic dogs breed for pulling sleds in sub zero temps so I doubt your winters will be too harsh for him. If he has a dog house get him a padded bed that will get him of the floor and he will be fine he probably prefers to be outside that may be why he is pacing all night.

My neighbor has a Husky as well. I have seen him try numerous times to get the dog inside in the winters, and the dog just wants to be outdoors. I would just make sure there isnt anything like cig buts, glass, and other items that a dog obviously doesnt need to be exposed too.

A buddy of mine built a house for his dog that was insulated. He had some type of heat source but cant remember what it was, but I do know he mounted it up high so the dog wouldnt accidently burn himself on it. He also had alot of time on his hands, and had more money than he knew what to do with.

Quote Originally Posted by AJS HVAC View Post
    My neighbor has a Husky as well. I have seen him try numerous times to get the dog inside in the winters, and the dog just wants to be outdoors. I would just make sure there isnt anything like cig buts, glass, and other items that a dog obviously doesnt need to be exposed too.

A buddy of mine built a house for his dog that was insulated. He had some type of heat source but cant remember what it was, but I do know he mounted it up high so the dog wouldnt accidently burn himself on it. He also had alot of time on his hands, and had more money than he knew what to do with.
    This is kinda off the exact subject a little but reminded me of a story a previous employer told of a really smart man who loved his dog and didnt want him getting cold that winter so he discovered that a gutter downspout fit almost perfect over the exhaust on his new gas pack! so he proceded to duct in his dog (gas chamber) house and he and his dog settled in for a warm night! But you guessed it the dog was warm on the outside but cold and stiff(DEAD) on the inside. This really was supposed to have happened. Just wanted to share.

Buddy of mine had a wolf hybrid. He made a real nice doghouse for him, insulated , raised floor, blankets pillows Internet etc.

The dog loved it, slept on the ROOF of it every night, no kidding [except the Internet part]

What about a small baseboard heater & a flap on the dog house opening.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

Grew up in Colorado, and raised huskies. Their kennel had a house that just had a flap on it, a padded bed inside and an overhang over the front to protect the entrance from snow.

good stuff.
    He's a bit of a chewer, so I don't want him to electrocute himself. We've been known to have -50 nights, and when it's that cold, of course, he comes in. I've built him a nice house and he's been sleeping on cedar shavings, which seems to be ok with him, but a little extra warmth couldn't be a bad thing either.
    Thanks all.

what about one of the heat lamps like in a snake cage? we had a dog up north and used to line the floor of his doghouse with Hay, seemed to trap his body heat and keep him warm..
    Jason J Saylor
    Pinellas County Schools
    HVAC Tech/Part Time HVAC Instructor Fortis College
    Pinellas County Florida

"You will encounter many distractions and many temptations to put your goals aside: The security of a job, a wife who wants kids, Whatever. But if you hang in there, always following your vision, I have no doubt you will succeed.”
    Larry Flynt quote

Quote Originally Posted by stvc View Post
    Buddy of mine had a wolf hybrid. He made a real nice doghouse for him, insulated , raised floor, blankets pillows Internet etc.

The dog loved it, slept on the ROOF of it every night, no kidding [except the Internet part]
    [IMG]http://3.bp.********.com/_yqUC9Ucuod8/Sas0mKGd38I/AAAAAAAAE8w/Znho2hDww38/s400/snoopy.jpg[/IMG]

You could duct in a hair drier with 3" galvanized and run it off a line voltage stat. You could even get fancy and do a supply and return off the hair drier with a return air sensor for temperature control. Pull the return from up high to avoid sucking in too much fur and maybe put a filter before the hair dryer.

Of course, you'll have to do a load calc to determine what size hair dryer to purchase as well as a manual D to size the duct.
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

I use to just build a nice dog house ( insulated ) , put it out of the wind , had a double flap entrance.

Pack snow around it for additional insulation , stuff it with nice dry straw and a good blanket. They would build a sort of nest and were quite comfy at -40'F.

Here is link to a doghouse that is already set up for dog comfort...

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/phot...653336,00.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jason J Saylor
    Pinellas County Schools
    HVAC Tech/Part Time HVAC Instructor Fortis College
    Pinellas County Florida

"You will encounter many distractions and many temptations to put your goals aside: The security of a job, a wife who wants kids, Whatever. But if you hang in there, always following your vision, I have no doubt you will succeed.”
    Larry Flynt quote

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast