I had my gas hot air furnace serviced this week and while there, the tech said that the high efficiency gas hot water in the same mechanical room (in my basement which is 3/4 finished for TV watching and computer area, 1/4 "mechanical room" with separate walls from rest of basement area) needs an emergency electrical shut-off switch installed. My gas hot air furnace has one at top of basement stairs but not for the gas HW. I assume he is correct; if so, can I simply install one outside of the door leading into the mechanical room or must it be at the top of the basement stairs?
    Also, the 90%+ efficiency gas hot air furnace has PVC exhaust and intake piping. But since all joints are solvent welded, he was unable to gain access to the a fan motor to clean it out. He suggested that I cut the pipe, and use Fernco coupling to allow him on his next visit to remove the motor without him doing the work, thereby saving me some cash on the Fernco install. I assume he meant the black rubber-looking coupling with metal band clamps I see in big box stores in plumbing sections?
    TIA

bump

Codes in your area may be diferent then in others, so check with your building codes department.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by howard33
    bump
    Site Rules

Site rules seem to me to be applied irregularly but I understand why they're there. I'm more curious about the Fernco being properly used then doing it myself. I really would rather have him do it since he's more competent than I and knows what he wants; it just seemed a bit strange to me for this usage.

Thats what we use.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?