Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    before I started reading this thread, my guess was a 65 piston.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

So coolwhip; did ".065 piston" just pop into your head even before you read anything about piston changes? WOW! That must be freaky! I have all sorts of things pop into my head but never related them to being psychic or anything like that

Just joshen ya; I know what you meant. I also figured it was most likely around that size piston but wanted to check before I commited myself. If nothing else, I did know that the .078 was too big.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Just comes from experience. I always check the piston in the evap. before installation Robin.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

I dunno, but the original post sorta gave me the idea this might be a DIY project.

Is it okay to do that now?

Did I miss something?

Originally posted by bwal2
    I dunno, but the original post sorta gave me the idea this might be a DIY project.

Is it okay to do that now?

Did I miss something?
    If its a DIY, well then 76 is fine, just fine. what ever ya want is just fine.

The OP stated he is installing a Trane (actually, he did spell it Traine ) coil. According to all of the Tranewashed on this forum, Trane equipment cannot fall into the hands of DIYers. Therefore we must assume the OP is a Traned professional.

well after 3 hours of playing, the job is done. the system came with the house and i moved in 10 years later and been living there 10 years, to do the math system is 20 years old. when i check the system out i had high head and low suction and what has been worring me was 40 sub-cool. system had clean 22 in it, i made sure. gas unit i need to replace drain pan so i knew i needed to crack her open. got a traine coil they threw away because it was leaking. did leak check,found and fixed. held pressure for 3 days while i spent $6 for rust paint and painted the front and back but not the middle coil.i guess at 76 piston. well i did not have 76 so it was 71 or 80. i went with 80 another guess. unit check out fine.57/125 and sub cool 8 and set my super heat at 20 and got a 22 degree splite. florida tempiture was about 55 with indoor tempiture 70.i think she will work. i least know now my high head was coming from the old coil,maybe a cap tube was clogged. thanks for all the messages. alabama

So its a hobby for Alabama. As with most hobbies it will keep him busy and cost him a lot, so who are we to balk

Hmm

Originally posted by alabama
    well after 3 hours of playing, the job is done. the system came with the house and i moved in 10 years later and been living there 10 years, to do the math system is 20 years old. when i check the system out i had high head and low suction and what has been worring me was 40 sub-cool. system had clean 22 in it, i made sure. gas unit i need to replace drain pan so i knew i needed to crack her open. got a traine coil they threw away because it was leaking. did leak check,found and fixed. held pressure for 3 days while i spent $6 for rust paint and painted the front and back but not the middle coil.i guess at 76 piston. well i did not have 76 so it was 71 or 80. i went with 80 another guess. unit check out fine.57/125 and sub cool 8 and set my super heat at 20 and got a 22 degree splite. florida tempiture was about 55 with indoor tempiture 70.i think she will work. i least know now my high head was coming from the old coil,maybe a cap tube was clogged. thanks for all the messages. alabama
    Glad it all worked out for you.

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Thanks for the offer turtle, but according to the coil piston charts by Goodman, your range is way off. The only piston noted for any of the Goodman 2.5 ton outdoor units is the .065 piston.

If you are thinking that the piston numbers noted in each of the catagories such as .058 to .065 or .078 to .065 are a range, you are reading the chart wrong. What this is stating is that if you are using a smaller coil with a .058 piston in it you must go "to" the .065 piston and if you are using a larger coil with a .078 piston in it you must go "to" the .065 piston.

In other words, the .065 piston is the proper piston to properly meter the refrigerant no matter what the coil size is. The system charge will be adjusted by the superheat so the proper amount of refrigerant will be in the system depending on which coil was installed and and what volume of air is being moved across that coil.
    This is Turtle.

well Ok , i will take .058 to .078 piston. now does that make you feel better ? I was tring to just show the large range that the piston sizes run and you can not just guess at it.

TURTLE

Turtle; there is no "range" of pistons. The chart states that whatever piston is currently in any size coil that you use, it must be changed "to" a .065 piston. This is a common misconception by techs reading that piston chart.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    [B]Turtle; there is no "range" of pistons. The chart states that whatever piston is currently in any size coil that you use, it must be changed "to" a .065 piston. This is a common misconception by techs reading that piston chart.

This is Turtle

First you need to get out more and read more. If you look at the Goodman Piston chart which is in front of me. If you look up the piston size to use on a CPLE-30-1 condenser unit and then have a 29k btu evaperator coil or bigger. it says to use a .059 to a .065 piston with this Goodman condenser to get 29k btu out of the condenser. It does not give a exact size at all but shows a range of .059 to .065 as being the right piston size.

now since we have a 3 ton trane evaperator coil and was matching it up to a 2.5 ton goodman condenser the .065 would be what Goodman would say to use in it but since it is a 3 ton Trane the chart sizing section refer you over to the range of .059 to .065 to be acceptiable to use in it. yes if you had a goodman evaperator coil and a Goodman condenser there would be a exact size show as .065, but when mix matching you will use the chart or range to go by but .065 would be nice also.

Now if you say the range of the piston sizes are of no use, what do they stated on the piston Sizing chart ranges for anyway ? Do they just put the ranges on there to just confuss little turtles that come along ? So explain to me why the ranges are stated on the Goodman Piston Sizing chart for ?

TURTLE

good call robo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast