Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    i am changinging out my indoor coil off of a gas furnance from cap tubes no name to a traine coil (3 ton). my condensor is 2.5 goodman and i cant seem to find any info off the goodman web sit to tell me what type of piston should be installed. I thinking of stating with a .76 piston but i am making a wild guess.

It is a bad idea to mismatch equipment.. If you have a goodman outdoor unit you should replace the coil with a goodman coil and use the sizing chart from goodman to install the correct size piston.. If you are insistant on installing a trane a-coil on a goodman condenser,, I would recomend installing a bleed type TXV so that the mismatch will hopefully operate correctly..

Goodluck
    J

The size of the piston also depends on the model of the outdoor unit.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Use the 76. You'll be fine.

[Edited by swampfox on 02-11-2006 at 04:50 PM]

Originally posted by appltech1
    Use the 76. You'll be fine.
    Just how did you decide this?

The rated piston is a .065

If you use the 076 piston you will flood the coil, raise the suction pressure and flood the compressor.

Originally posted by alabama
    i am changinging out my indoor coil off of a gas furnance from cap tubes no name to a traine coil (3 ton). my condensor is 2.5 goodman and i cant seem to find any info off the goodman web sit to tell me what type of piston should be installed. I thinking of stating with a .76 piston but i am making a wild guess.
    This is Turtle.

The range on flow rater piston of Goodman 2.5 ton condenser is from .059 to a .078 . Now if you needed a .059 and you put a .078 in it. It can flood back to get the compessor, also. Then vise versa it will starve the evaperator

You need to get the condenser model number and match it up to the evaperator coil model number or your going to buy a new compressor soon also.

TURTLE

TRANE not traine

I would just use the piston that comes with the trane coil. It should be larger than what the 2.5 goodman unit calls for but not a size difference like .59 to .78. Goodman actually oversizes their coils to improve seer ratings. I have oversized evaps. by .5 tons and always used the supplied piston and never had any problems, no matter what brand i used just made sure to tell my distributor the seer rating of the unit.

Originally posted by turtle
    This is Turtle.

The range on flow rater piston of Goodman 2.5 ton condenser is from .059 to a .078 . Now if you needed a .059 and you put a .078 in it. It can flood back to get the compessor, also. Then vise versa it will starve the evaperator

You need to get the condenser model number and match it up to the evaperator coil model number or your going to buy a new compressor soon also.

TURTLE
    Turtle (this is RoBo )

Where did you come up with that range of pistons?

Originally posted by djlinx
    I would just use the piston that comes with the trane coil. It should be larger than what the 2.5 goodman unit calls for but not a size difference like .59 to .78. Goodman actually oversizes their coils to improve seer ratings. I have oversized evaps. by .5 tons and always used the supplied piston and never had any problems, no matter what brand i used just made sure to tell my distributor the seer rating of the unit.
    If the outdoor unit is within 7 years old, this is bad advice. Why would you not recommend using what the manufacturer requires?

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Originally posted by turtle
    This is Turtle.

TURTLE
    Turtle (this is RoBo )

Where did you come up with that range of pistons?
    this is Turtle.

Buy a goodman evaperator coil and read the paper work weth it and it has a piston chart in the paper work. i can send you one if you like.

TURTLE

Thanks for the offer turtle, but according to the coil piston charts by Goodman, your range is way off. The only piston noted for any of the Goodman 2.5 ton outdoor units is the .065 piston.

If you are thinking that the piston numbers noted in each of the catagories such as .058 to .065 or .078 to .065 are a range, you are reading the chart wrong. What this is stating is that if you are using a smaller coil with a .058 piston in it you must go "to" the .065 piston and if you are using a larger coil with a .078 piston in it you must go "to" the .065 piston.

In other words, the .065 piston is the proper piston to properly meter the refrigerant no matter what the coil size is. The system charge will be adjusted by the superheat so the proper amount of refrigerant will be in the system depending on which coil was installed and and what volume of air is being moved across that coil.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast