Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    We are shopping for a new furnace. We narrowed down our choices to the following 2 models: Amana AMV9 (96%) and Goodman GMV9 (95%).

They both have the same warranty and are about the same price. Which system has a better reputation? Which one is quiter? What other furnace do you recommand?

Thanks

Are both these units offered by the same company?

You should be shopping for the best contractor not on brand alone..

You should be asking yourself:
    1.) Did the contractor do a load calculation or offer to do a load calculation once the contract is signed to ensure proper funace sizing?? It is bad to guess on sizing or to assume that the current furnace you have was sized right to begin with..
    2.) Did the contractor check the ductwork by doing a current TESP(total external static pressure) to see how well the current system is operating with the ductwork or did they check the ductwork to make sure manual D was followed?
    3.) Did the contractor go over your needs in heating and cooling? Did he address any problems you currently have with your current system?
    4.) Did the contractor go over upgrades you have done to your house to improve insulation and advise you on additional repairs that can be done to increase your efficiency of your home?

All I can say, is the brand of equipment is only one piece of your system.. If any other piece of your old system is not well designed, it will cause your new system to not perform as well as it should..

Chose your contractor carefully,, go with the best system he recommends for your needs.. You will have a great system

Good luck
    J

[Edited by Advanced Response on 02-11-2006 at 02:12 PM]

theyre both the same company amana and goodman,like what was just stated its all about the contractor and the installation,you might want to check out consumer reports.org as some brands are rated better than others.

Originally posted by Advanced Response
    Are both these units offered by the same company?

You should be shopping for the best contractor not on brand alone..

Thanks for all the info. I forgot to add that is a new house and no they are not offered by the same company. One of them (the Amana) is offered by a company that our general contractor usually does work with and had good experience with. The other (Goodman) is offered by a company that was recommended to us by 2 people from work. So I would say that both companies are "equivalent". Both of them offered to do a load calculation when the contract is signed.

But if Amana and goodman are the same company, we are going with the Amana since our general contractor has a good experience with them.

While there are some Amana furnaces that are different, those two models are identical. That particular Amana furnace is what is known as the Amana Distintinctions line and is a Goodman furnace with an Amana label on it.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Robin sorry but you are wrong on this one. The Distinction line starts with a D not an A. The GMV has the aluminized tubular heat exchanger and the AMV has the Stainless Steel Tube heat exchanger.

Hana do go with the Amana it does have a better warranty. The Goodman has a Lifetime heat exchanger part warranty unit replacement for ten-years. The Amana has a Lifetime unit replacement warranty.

Amana has the nitride igniter as well....much better!

AMV9 96% AFUE :
    GMS9/GCS9 Distinctions 93% AFUE :

Wow, not like Robo to miss that. Hitting the Tequilla early?

Sorry bout that guys

Since I have been back in the States things have changed with Goodman/Amana and I now only deal with the Goodman branded equipment 98% of the time. The nomenclature keeps changing on me.

This year there will be no difference in the model nomenclature between the Amana distinction and the Goodman branded models.

I was still thinking back to the Amana G**** furnace designations.

Originally posted by thighway
    Amana has the nitride igniter as well....much better!
    Sorry for my ignorance but what is a "nitride igniter"?

Silicon nitride ignitors are tougher than the silicon carbide. Experts say they should be more reliable but our experience with couple of brands and voltages says they are no better.

I thought the Goodman had nitride ignitor too, just in 120v.

The Goodman version of that furnace uses a Mini-Norton HSI with adaptable ignition module that varies the voltage.

Doesn't Amana use the Intell-ignition board which runs the ignitor around 80v RMS? How is the Goodman different or is it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast