Hello everybody.

This place is wonderful and I need advice.

I'm in the middle of an eight month HVAC program.
    I'm doing well and I want to succeed.

I've been offered a job for a residential HVAC company, but my dilema is that I very much want to get into the refrigeration side of the biz, and I can't really explain why other then what I've read about it and a gut feeling.

What happened was that I went into a interview with my schoolmate at this residential company and we were both basically hired on the spot. We start Monday.

On the one hand, I'm thinking that if I pay my dues and bust my behind doing residential for let's say 6 months or a year that it would look good to potential commercial/refrigeration company(or would it?)

But will this make the residential boss angry that they invest time and money into me only to have me leave the company therebye making him give me a bad refrence and effectively wiping out my precious experience?
    Also, I should mention that this residential job would be convenient for I would have a ride to work and school because my schoolmate, who gives me a ride, was also hired.(I have no car.)

On the other hand I wonder if I should thank the residential man for the opportunity, decline the proverbial bird in the hand and attempt to get an entry level job for a market refrigeration company.

It's really tearing me up as to what I should do.
    I don't want to burn any bridges.

Money isn't even an issue with me, I think it's far more important to get good training at this stage of the game.
    School is good, but I realize I will do all my real learning in the field

Should I just take this residential job, work very hard and set my sights on refrigeration later?

What would you do?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

[Edited by knute on 02-11-2006 at 01:02 PM]

I would give you this advice. It is alwasy easier to 'get a job' if you 'have a job.' Remember, work towards where you want to be, not necessarily where you are. To your questions, yes, your boss will be upset when he learns your plans were to only use him as a stepping stone, and yes, you may get pigeonholed if you do residential for experience for refrigeration. p.s. I don't think you'll have much 'in the field' experience after 6 months to do much negotiating.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

Should I just take this residential job, work very hard and set my sights on refrigeration later?

Yes,

I hired a few residential tech's and with a little on the job experience they worked out just fine doing refrigeration work. Don't worry about the boss. Your pay scale will be low enough for him to profit.

I'd take the resi gig. Take this time to really put grit to whatever refrigeration theory you got in school. There's plenty of resi techs who have a shameful understanding of the refrigeration cycle and its nuances. The ones who don't will have many more doors open for them than the ones who take the matter lightly.

It is true that a greater percentage of your troubleshooting in resi work will be electrical vs. refrigeration. The electrical experience you gain will help you whenever you make the transition to market work or whatever form of commercial refrigeration you settle into.

You'll find your share of refrigeration side problems that will challenge you, in time. Main thing is learn how to correctly charge systems, be they heat pumps, straight cool, a dinky PTAC, or a 40 ton semi-hermetic with unloaders and low ambient kit (unlikely in resi but you never know with some of those mansions you might get a call to!)

Also, getting into the field gets you exposure. You'll learn where supply houses are and who staffs them, who knows who in refer work, etc.

If my first full time gig in this trade was to typecast me as is being suggested here, I'd still be doing hotel work. True, the greater portion of my career has been in-house work vs. in a service truck, but man I've seen a lot of stuff! The fun for you is only beginning. Good luck!

• Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Knute,

First off, let me extend a welcome to you. This site is one of the best tools that you could've found, and lots of fun at times, too.

As for the job, I'd take it. It's difficult for an entry-level tech to get a foot in the door as you may see by reading posts in this section. You may want to put in more than 6 months, though. Look forward to a year or two experience to get some real world knowledge under your belt.

While accumulating this experience add to your education. You'll find supply houses that offer seminars on compressors, txv's and other items that you'll always encounter. Join RSES and go to the meetings, not only for the info, but for the invaluable industry connections you'll make.

Get a car. you won't always be able to use the company truck to go to these seminars and meetings, but they are all work related so it might not be an issue for your boss to let you use the truck to go.

Again, welcome aboard and good luck in this wonderful hobby. (It's only work if you make it difficult)
    R2B4BTU

Thank you otto for the welcome, and thanks to all of you gentleman for your advice.

I can't tell you how much this sets my mind at ease.

I've told guys at my school about this website.
    This place is truly a fount of knolwedge and I look foward to asking questions and learning from your expertise.