Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Frown

    I have a Crown (Waterair) "78" forced hot air system by oil. We at my household have be complaining about dizzyness and congestion. Also my daughter has had a cough for some time. I have had a oil fired tech do a CO test, and a smoke test. When doing the CO test the efficence was 70% and the CO was 9.2. He said the unit was running fine but we still are complaining about the headaches and congestion, also my daughter is still coughing. I suspect a cracked heat exchanger. I was also talking to someone who said that with a low efficency reading of 70% that they thought that was a red flag for a possible heat exchanger problem!! PLEASE HELP!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Suppy NC
    Posts
    4,513
    go to the store and get a couple good quality co detectors

    put one in the cellar and one near the bed rooms

    have the unit checked buy another contractor

    if you dont trust the unit then get prices for a replacement
    a unit from 78 has served its life and 70 percent may be the best it can do

    9.6ppm in the living eara or in the flue of the furnace

    last if you are realy concerned then go to the hospital and get tested for co poisening


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Winston-Salem,Nc
    Posts
    350
    not sure about your qualifications...but do you have a CO detector installed in your house? if not get one. you might also want someone with a CO meter check your living area 9ppm is max allowed for partial exposure.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Winston-Salem,Nc
    Posts
    350
    beat me to it Mr. Knocker

  5. #5
    one more thing. The bi produce of natural gas is co. Is that the same for oil? Second would you recommend a smoke bomb thrown into the heat exchanger to see if thiers a cracked heat exchanger?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Houston,Tx.
    Posts
    15,843
    Originally posted by tinknocker service tech
    last if you are really concerned then go to the hospital and get tested for co poisening
    Doc Tin, maybe that should be first, but maybe "Doc" Holliday
    will come along soon to get a second opinion.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

    "Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Houston,Tx.
    Posts
    15,843
    Originally posted by tinknocker service tech
    last if you are really concerned then go to the hospital and get tested for co poisening
    Doc Tin, maybe that should be first, but maybe "Doc" Holliday
    will come along soon to give a second opinion.
    [/QUOTE]
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

    "Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Suppy NC
    Posts
    4,513
    imo anything that burns causes co
    like has been said already there is not much more to add

    most cases with oil if the hx is cracked you will see black soot arroud the pleunum and arround the regesters

    either way get it looked at or replaced

    IF CONCERNED SEE A DOCTOR AND FIND OUT BEFORE YOU KID GETS SICKER

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event