Hmm

HI, I HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME. I HAVE A CARRIER HEAT PUMP SYSTEM THAT KEEPS FREEZING UP,IT WAS INSTALLED BY A CONTRACTOR ALONG WITH A PROVISION TH 8000 THERMOSTAT. MY QUESTION IS HOW LONG SHOULD THE OUTSIDE UNIT RUN WHEN THE INSIDE TEMP IS REACHED? HERE IS WHAT I'VE DONE,THE TEMP ON THE INSIDE IS SET TO 72 THE THE INSIDE TEMP IS 72 IT WILL RUN FOR OVER AN HOUR AND WILL NOT STOP.I TURNED THE STAT UP ONE DEGREE THINKING THE UNIT CANNOT SATISFY THE DEMAND BUT IN ABOUT 10 MIN. THE TEMP REACHES 73,BUT THE UNIT STILL RUNS.WHEN THE UNIT FREEZES UP I TURN ON EMERGENCY HEAT THE FAN IN THE AIRHANDLER RUNS FOR AWHILE AND THEN STOPS BUT THE HEAT GRIDS STAY ON.THE HEATING AND AIR CONTRACTOR CANNOT FIGURE IT OUT.THE HEAD TECH FROM CARRIER HAS BEEN HERE AND REPLACED THE OUTSIDE UNIT WITH ANOTHER BRAND NEW UNIT WITH THE SAME RESULTS.I THINK IT IS THE THERMOSTAT THE CONTRACTOR TRIED A NEW ONE AND IT WAS NO GOOD RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. ANY IDEAS? ,{THEY INSTALLED THE STAT}THANK YOU LHURD

1- Turn the caps lock OFF
    it makes it harder to read
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

sorry my mistake, next time i will

Not unusual to run a long time even though room temp is at setpoint. Could really be 1/2 degree low but the stat doesn't show 1/2 degree increments.

Freezing up isn't normal. Carrier tends to use tight fin spacing which freezes up fast. They also send out their pumps with defrost timer set to 90 minutes. It could be as simple as changing to shorter periods or it could be a mechanical problem. Needs to be checked out asap.

WHEN THE UNIT FREEZES UP I TURN ON EMERGENCY HEAT

that`s good

THE FAN IN THE AIRHANDLER RUNS FOR AWHILE AND THEN STOPS BUT THE HEAT GRIDS STAY ON

that`s not so good

how do you know the "grids" stay on??????

Hmm

thanks for the info,the installer has the defrost set for 60 min. i timed the unit running for 2 hours 10 min before it shut off. i stepped the stat up 1 degree to see if the unit could keep up with the demand and within 10 min. it did.the installer has been at my home 15 times and cannot figure it out. i think it is in the stat,here is somthing that just started,in emergency heat the fan will run for awhile then shut off but the electric grid stays on.everything has beened checked over many times but nothing found.the head carrier tech from carrier has been out and told the installer to replace the outside unit with another new one,but the same thing happens. i can't go with another installer because of the warrenty.any help would be appreciated. thanks again lhurd

the stat has a red light that comes on only when the grids are on, it used to turn the red light off,and the fan would run for abuot 15-20 mins. then shut off. but now the fan shuts off and the light stays on

the head carrier tech from carrier has been out and told the installer to replace the outside unit with another new one

I don`t see their logic with this.
    Is this a Carrier Tech or a guy from the Carrier parts house?

Originally posted by dandyme
    the head carrier tech from carrier has been out and told the installer to replace the outside unit with another new one

I don`t see their logic with this.
    Is this a Carrier Tech or a guy from the Carrier parts house?
    no this guy is from carrier itself.he flew in from the new england states,he is the head tech for all the east coast.this guy said there was a small ball of solder in the system and it was causing a restriction

[Edited by lhurd on 02-11-2006 at 08:56 AM]