Wondering what carrer to pursue.

Hi, i am new to these boards and am looking for some unbiased advice.

I'm torn between learning HVAC or Heavy Equipment. I took HVAC/r courses in high school at a local vocational school. I really enjoyed the classes and could see myself doing this kind of work for a living. I'm interested in finding out what pays more. I've read that HVAC technicians and Electricians make the most because they have to be licensed by the state. I'm wondering if this holds true against a heavy equipment operator? If HVAC is the better career opportunity, then what section of HVAC should i pursue? Commercial or Residential?

Thanks in advance.

You came to the wrong forum for unbiased advice.

I'd go HVAC.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Ya know who does really well? Controls and instruments techs for water companies. Same sort of trade nerd work, better compensation, and you can do it till you keel over. ISA.org is the group to be associated with for that.

If you're only concerned about money, the trade that pays the most in my area is the Iron Workers. Anyway, hvac requirements differ from state to state. EPA license is the only requirement in IL. I would be more concerned about loving what you do, than how much you make. HVAC/R isn't for everybody. I can't speak for residential, but commercial/industrial can be a tough gig. You're working under extreme conditions. Weather, noise, safety, filth, etc. It also takes quite a toll on your body. On call hours. When temps are at extreme highs and lows, everybody is expected to help out. There can be times when you work 80 hrs a week or 15 hours a week. Work 6 weeks without a day off or 6 weeks with 4 weeks off. If you choose the hvac/r trade, service work is more consistant than construction and installs(at least in this economy).
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Thanks guys.

I'm not only concerned about the money. I feel that i would enjoy both of these trades.

Thanks 2sac. I appreciate the added info about work environment and hours. That's something to take into consideration.

score a crane operators job that sets hvac equipment. seems like a win, win

Elevator installer/service tech. I think they are the highest paid. Also the I think the work is steady although, up and down.
    Never give up; Never surrender!

Thanks for the alternative career choices.

Animal husbandry.

Unless you get caught at it.

I'm also struggling with the same thing... Gheez.