Confused Tridium Niagara Email Alarms

Does anyone know if you can get niagara to have the alarm text on multiple lines?

I want to have an alarm thats more,
    High Temp Alarm
    Ring Joe Bloggs on x4567

Instead of the, High Temp Alarm Ring Joe Bloggs on X4567.

I havn't been able to figure out how to do this using the BI's alarm text or the mailSend command in a Programable point, which leaves me with a long unformated email which is hard to read.

Anyone had any luck with this?

Do you want the text "Ring Joe Bloggs on x4567" to appear on every alarm email? Or just the one for "High Temp Alarm"?

And honestly, is "High Temp Alarm, Ring Joe Bloggs on X4567" that confusing to your clients? Wow, and I thought I had ran into some challanged individuals before...
    “It is impossible for one to learn what one thinks they already know"

Quote Originally Posted by stormjr View Post
    Does anyone know if you can get niagara to have the alarm text on multiple lines?
    Don't know about Niagara.So this may be useless and futile.
    However, from what I gather, the email is in plain text.
    What you need is called a carriage return.
    This is ASCII control characters 13 decimal, or 0D hexadecimal

What you need to find, is how to send an "escape sequence" in your string to imbed the carriage return.

Depending on the underlying programming language, this can be done in a myriad of different ways. You'll just have to guess.

Strings are usually in quotes or in double quotes.

Try "blabla" + \0x0D + "blabla", or various variants according to programming languages.
    "blabla\rblabla"
    "blabla" + #13 + "blabla"
    "blabla" + vbCrLf + "blabla"
    "blabla" + Chr$(13) + "blabla"

Tridium may not have allowed the feature, but it is worth trying.

If nothing works, look up their documentation for key words: control characters, escape sequence, carriage return, etc.
    -------------------------
    CO2 Racks Rock !

Hmm

Thanks for the info YRoy, unfortuanatly niagara throws out most of the options you type in as invalid code, and others just insert some more info on the same line.

Seems like we are stuck with one long line for email alarms out of Niagara, at least with R2

Are you running AX or R2?.
    I have just set up an alarm to Email service on R2 and the format is fine. You select what elements you require and the email is quite well paginated automatically:
    ======================
    Alarm received from BoilerRoom

Time: 8:50 6-Jun-2007 GMT
    Swid: /*********/lonTrunk/XFL523BDi_5/Sump_Pump
    Name: Sump_Pump
    - Hide quoted text -
    Type: Change of state
    Old state: normal
    New state: offnormal
    New Value: true
    Class ID: 10
    Priority: 255
    Ack required: true
    gnomethang

Red face Non Standard Email

I'm using R2, the standard alarm emailer can list the different points on different lines, but the message text seems to be stuck on one line.

The problem I have though is I have written a program to send an email with a little more info in it.

Far as I can tell using the standard alarm you can't send something like Boiler fault, Flow temp 50'F where as a programable point can send an email with text with multiple strings and variables all added up.

Just can not find a way to say - new line!

Hi,

I`m using niagara ax. I`m having a problem where the alarm email unable to send out from mail provider. The mail was blocked by server. I suspect that the mail server treat it as a spam. I have tried to use the same mail provider for recipient and sender, add the sender account as friend, yet the mail server still block the mail.
    Did anyone faced this problem before?
    What can i do to resolve this issue?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cktan22 View Post
    Hi,

I`m using niagara ax. I`m having a problem where the alarm email unable to send out from mail provider. The mail was blocked by server. I suspect that the mail server treat it as a spam. I have tried to use the same mail provider for recipient and sender, add the sender account as friend, yet the mail server still block the mail.
    Did anyone faced this problem before?
    What can i do to resolve this issue?
    Thanks
    could be lots of reasons.

1: maybe youre trying to send to a mail server not controlled by the ISP yr connected via.(pretty much all ISP will NOT relay mail)
    2: authenticated v not
    3: ports blocked at router
    4: wrong port for the mail server
    5: some servers need a sender/return address that is valid for their server

Turn on 'spy' for the mail system and view the debug info in the System Log
    You should be able to tell where the process fails.
    1 + 1 = 3 ( *** for very large values of 1)

...everybody wants a box of chocolates and long stemmed rose

You could try placing a \n in the string. In a label, placing \n moves the text that follows down to another line in the label. It may have the same functionality in the alarm text box. Worth a try for when it comes up in the future. Actually, looks like that won't work but I was able to just press enter and force the text down to the next line to format appropriately.

Everything has to be just right to get the email functionality working...just as matrix mentioned. Also, ssl or not.

I typically use gmail

smtp.gmail.com
    account = full email account address

port 465

use ssl true
    use authentication true

I have a single outgoing gmail account i use for each station and I use a different account for the return email address. Usually works just fine for me. You may need a licensed crypto service in your station for the ssl. On a security jace 2.2.9.6 I had to put the crypto service in. On a WEB 700 with 3.7.106 it worked without installing the crypto service.
    Last edited by TGregory; 07-22-2014 at 04:56 PM.