Post Likes

Trane RTU Takeover

I'm a controls contractor looking to take over control of several Trane YCD090C4L0BE RTUs. This model of RTU does not have the typical Trane control board connections (G, Y1, Y2, W1, W2). The only terminals that are available are on a low voltage terminal strip on the side of the control cabinet. It seems that the strip is only used to hook up the thermostat and test the unit when it is initially installed.

What I'm trying to do is install an Automated Logic DDC controller to control the fan, cooling, and heating stages without disabling any of the built-in safeties that come with the unit.

I've attached a picture of the control cabinet and one of the low voltage terminal strip.
    The two wires landed on 1 and 2 of the terminal strip is the existing Trane thermistor and the two on 16 and 17 is the fire alarm interlock.

Any help would be appreciated.Attachment 768421Attachment 768431
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Max EMCOR View Post
    I'm a controls contractor looking to take over control of several Trane YCD090C4L0BE RTUs. This model of RTU does not have the typical Trane control board connections (G, Y1, Y2, W1, W2). The only terminals that are available are on a low voltage terminal strip on the side of the control cabinet. It seems that the strip is only used to hook up the thermostat and test the unit when it is initially installed.

What I'm trying to do is install an Automated Logic DDC controller to control the fan, cooling, and heating stages without disabling any of the built-in safeties that come with the unit.

I've attached a picture of the control cabinet and one of the low voltage terminal strip.
    The two wires landed on 1 and 2 of the terminal strip is the existing Trane thermistor and the two on 16 and 17 is the fire alarm interlock.

Any help would be appreciated.Attachment 768421Attachment 768431
    I believe you will need to get a CTI board from Trane (Conventional Thermostat Interface).
    Pretty straight forward I think.
    I'm sure others will chime in.

Post Likes
    381 is right, the only thing that might pose an issue is that there appears to be a communication card already in the unit, you may need to remove that.
    "There is plenty of room at the top because very few people care to travel beyond the average route. And so most of us seem satisfied to remain within the confines of mediocrity." -- Benjamin Nnamdi Azikiwe, first president of Nigeria

"It's not the customer's job to know what they want." -- Steve Jobs

Post Likes
    Yup, that is a Trane comm3/4 board that will need to come out. The Trane CTI board will be installed in its place.
    "Controls is a lifestyle not a job" -klrogers

Post Likes
    I had great success using the CTI boards (Convention Thermostat Interface) here is link to purchase http://www.supplyhouse.com/Venstar-T...nterface-Board

Here is install pdf. CTI_TraneInterfaceBoard_TIB-515.pdf

6. Likes MaxBurn, ThePraetorian liked this post