Sizing a freezer

I have a customer who wants to increase the tonnage on his walk in.currently it has a 7.5 ton & 5 ton the dimensions are 70' x 20' x 10' he s wanting to replace the 7.5 with a 10 ton. it s a meat locker they try and hold it at -10.the 5 ton is actually a back up to the 7.5. I m not experienced in sizing freezers. 10 tons = 120,000BTU/hr. From 8am to 5pm there s alot of traffic from customers so the rate of air change is triple that of normal walk ins. I guess what I m wanting to know is the formular for sizing the equipment. 14,000 ft/3 , @ 90 degree outside ambient, -10 to 0 range.any help would be appreciated.
    Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed

Try this for starters. A proper load calculation needs to be done or you will likely just be spinning your wheels.

http://www.uscooler.com/?q=refrigera...izing-estimate

You know how I size my freezers for the most part, I call Mike Mcgovern at United Refrigeration in Bensenville IL. at 630-521-9100. He will ask you questions like the surrounding box air temps, Type of door way, cooler panel thickness, Foam type, ect. He's good. They are very nice and helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by modestmouse View Post
    I have a customer who wants to increase the tonnage on his walk in.currently it has a 7.5 ton & 5 ton the dimensions are 70' x 20' x 10' he s wanting to replace the 7.5 with a 10 ton. it s a meat locker they try and hold it at -10.the 5 ton is actually a back up to the 7.5. I m not experienced in sizing freezers. 10 tons = 120,000BTU/hr. From 8am to 5pm there s alot of traffic from customers so the rate of air change is triple that of normal walk ins. I guess what I m wanting to know is the formular for sizing the equipment. 14,000 ft/3 , @ 90 degree outside ambient, -10 to 0 range.any help would be appreciated.
    If you are saying the customer currently has a 5 HP and 7.5 HP compressor, he most certainly does NOT have a 5 ton and 7.5 ton systems.

Best to check the compressor capacity chart and see what your actual capacity is. You will find for your application it quite different than 1 HP per ton.

Thanks everyone
    Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed

I usually do the load calcs myself but anytime I'm not sure, I stop by United (sort of like Fridge Repairer) and they have a form you can fill out and they will get the proper equipment spec'd out for you.

I use the Heatcraft program:

http://proselect.heatcraftrpd.com/he...13531708787439
    Originally Posted by ladyfire3374:

"I used to wake up excited about the challenges of the day. Now the anticipation level is somewhere between a root canal and a colonoscopy."