Any opinions on replacing the reversing valve (currently hanging in cooling mode and sometimes halfway) on an older Carrier 2.5 Ton HP? The tech showed me how it would be done and admitted that they're not easy to do. He was thorough and checked everthing and said that the system otherwise had good numbers when he put the guages on it. He said he would probably go ahead and replace the accumulator due to the rust pitting on the connections, if he did it.

I do understand that with a twenty-two year old HP that it's a gamble, but I'd like to try and get a few years down the road here before replacing the system. Like when my truck is paid off (!) and my PMI drops off of my mortgage.

Any other considerations as far as the indoor or outdoor unit such as adding a thermostatic expansion valve? Thanks for any replies.

Sounds like your about to invest alot of money that could go toward a new HP.

After replacing the Rv, and accumilator, if the compressor goes out next month, you'll be that much further in the hole.

See if they have 365 day same as cash financing.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Twenty-two year old HP

That's nuts. Get a new HP

Not to be blunt... ok, I'm being blunt. It's not a gamble, it's nuts!!!!!

We have a customer who insisted we replace the comp in her 15 year old geo. We did. Then the reversing valve stuck. It's behind the comp and would require removal of the whole heat pump to change. Good money thrown down the drain, can't use the thing now.

I see after I typed this that James & I are thinking very much alike on this one

First I will assume, this the same Dual-fuel system you are talking about in your first post. I really doubt the Heating Season performance (efficiency) of the 22 year-old Heatpump minus the $xxxx dollars of repair will be a great difference over your Natural Gas bill increased buy just running your furnace the rest of the heating season. On how practical it is to sink that amount of money 22 year old system, Well the 1984 Ford Festiva was an Economy car, but I would not pay the dealership to put a new transaxle in it. Hope this helps

Put your money into a new sys. Don't throw that much money into that old of a unit. You will regret it later if you have another large dollar repair come up like a compressor. Take your hard earned money and at least get a new c/u. I dont know if you have a furnace or just an a/h. Just make absloutely sure that the evaporator and blower are gone thru and cleaned thoroughly while the c/u is being changed out. Also, make certain that the new c/u is compatable with the old evap. If the evap and blower are in poor condition as well and will run the chance of wrecking a new compressor then this is a decision that will require some thought.......You may well have to go ahead with the repair now until you can replace both at the same time....l8r

Take whatever that repair is going to cost, light it on fire, and start your charcoal grill up with it. That's a better use for the money than that repair. At least you'll get to eat.

ave life of a heatpump is 12 years.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Well, it looks like it's unanimous!-) If there's any way I can swing the financing, I'll get the new system. He did say that the replacemnt would be new outside and inside. He looked the furnace over and said it was still in very good shape, so at least there's some savings there. Once I get the bid, I'll probably post some more questions about the equipment and options. One thing for sure: If I went with the repair I couldn't say I wasn't warned! Thanks for the replies.

Furnace? You mean heap pump air handler? If it is 20+ years, then it is junk also. And nothing you put outside will match it.

Originally posted by James 3528
    Furnace? You mean heap pump air handler? If it is 20+ years, then it is junk also. And nothing you put outside will match it.
    It's a dual fuel system, with a natural gas furnace. As far as matching, if the inside coil or evaporator is changed to new with the new outside unit, and the fan is adequate to handle the new system, why change it? The tech looked it over and pronounced it in excellent shape.

That is different IF the furnace isn't 20+ years

This is Turtle.

i'm mr. tightwad when it comes to changing out equipment but this unit get 20+ years old on it. I would have to say I would not want to put any major money in it as being 20+ years on it.

Now here is my main reason to say this.

In a lot of cases when a reversing valve starts to stick, it is caused by some other part of the hvac system breaking down or messing up and giving off particals and material to jam the plunger or reversing valve. It would not be the reversing valve wearing out but something else fixing to give way. The replacing of the reversing valve may be just a band-ade to the major problem.

Now of Cource the system belongs to you and not me.

TURTLE

i would use the gas to finnish out the season. then since the unit works fine in ac use it for the summer hopefuly it will last. then in the fall look into replacing it.

this will buy you time to save up for the replacement and you are not under the gun.

putting that kind of money into this unit inst cost afective at all. take the money put it aside and add to it over the summer and you done. if you can