Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Should a variable speed XV90 Trane furnace running at 37K BTU on low speed maintain the house temperature for a 1600 sq. ft. home? When in recovery mode 56K BTU it will warm the house fine but on low speed the house gets cooler and cooler. If I had a single speed furnace I assume the house would need a 56K furnace, correct?

Originally posted by fdsonn
    Should a variable speed XV90 Trane furnace running at 37K BTU on low speed maintain the house temperature for a 1600 sq. ft. home? When in recovery mode 56K BTU it will warm the house fine but on low speed the house gets cooler and cooler. If I had a single speed furnace I assume the house would need a 56K furnace, correct?

Yes you would need a 56K furnas. It is normal for low stage to run and second stage to cycle on and off.

alot depends on the outdoor temp. What i have done on mine is set the gas pressure a little higher and get the temp rise up. Another thing is your tstat you could go with a 2 stage stat

Originally posted by jay41289
    What i have done on mine is set the gas pressure a little higher and get the temp rise up.

I do NOT advise this at all! Home owner should not be adj the gas pressure with out gauges. otherwise, you will burn out your heat exchanger.

Fdson,

I have about the same size home and same equipment.

if it's really cold, yes the 1st stage may fall behind, and that's where the 2nd stage of the twostage system comes into play to bring up the temp

Do you have a two stage stat on this?

thermostat

Yes I have a Honeywell VisionPro stat

Do you know if the house gets cooler (falls belowe set point) does it go into 2nd stage, then when the temp meets, it goes back into 1st stage?

Second stage only in recovery mode

It seems to only go into second stage during a recovery from the temperature being turned back never after recovery that. Because it never goes into the second stage again the bedrooms get cooler and cooler as the day goes on.

What is your set point?

How cool does the house gets?

Have you tried turning it up the temp?

Furnace runs all the time, non stop and the temps keeps dropping?

one thing you could do is have an outdoor thermostat installed so at what ever temp you feel its starting fall behind set the stat at that temp to use the hi fire only. since its a trane unit you will need to install a seqencer or timer between w1 w2 or it will take 10 min to go into hi fire i did this at my own house i know how you feel. have a proffesional do this set up!

My Trane service rep (the smartest hvac guy I know) says first stage heat on a Trane should be 2.2-2.4" wc. No matter what the book says.
    This is the guy who taught the apprentice school I went to(ahem) 15 years ago. I have been setting these things up this way for about 2 years. No problems.
    Live for yourself and ask no one to live for you.

Originally posted by inturmoil
    My Trane service rep (the smartest hvac guy I know) says first stage heat on a Trane should be 2.2-2.4" wc. No matter what the book says.
    This is the guy who taught the apprentice school I went to(ahem) 15 years ago. I have been setting these things up this way for about 2 years. No problems.
    I have been using a combustion analyzer to set up new furnaces we install, all Trane, and find that they tend to get best combustion and thermal efficiency in low fire when the manifold pressure is in the 2.0 to 2.2 range. I havn't had the nerv to try cranking one up to 2.4 yet though.
    I find the same thing to be true on other brands of 2 stage 80% furnaces too, so its not just Trane.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Originally posted by joker dan
    one thing you could do is have an outdoor thermostat installed so at what ever temp you feel its starting fall behind set the stat at that temp to use the hi fire only. since its a trane unit you will need to install a seqencer or timer between w1 w2 or it will take 10 min to go into hi fire i did this at my own house i know how you feel. have a proffesional do this set up!
    ?????

I am lost here where you are coming from on this.

Two stage t-stat will put it into high fire when it needs to. No outdoor sensor is needed.. That was the old days on the Williamson Gas-Saver.

Smile

hey mayguy did you ever have a customer complain about this,they just dont feel warm even though there is two stage stat there is a period of time befor it goes into high fire and it does feel cold and uncomfortable. this way say at 25 degrees it will use hi fire instead of just locking in hi fire for good ,you always hear( my old furnace was alot warmer i wish i knew before i bought this one). i have yet to find a thermostat that you can set up this way.ive got a thermidistat, only options are detering second stage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast