"A former U.S. soldier injured in Iraq says he was forced to pay $700 for a blood-soaked Kevlar vest that was destroyed after medics removed it to treat shrapnel wounds to his right arm.

Rebrook was standing in the turret of a Bradley Fighting Vehicle when a roadside bomb exploded Jan. 11, 2005. The explosion fractured his arm and severed an artery. A Black Hawk helicopter airlifted him to a combat support hospital in Baghdad. He was later flown to a hospital in Germany before being transferred to Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington.

"How can it be that the Defense Department, which is requesting $439 billion in this budget, has to resort to dunning a wounded soldier for $700 to replace a piece of body armor?" Byrd asked."

------

Unbelievable.

I'm surprised that they didn't send him a hospital bill for the medical care he received as well.

You actually believe it is policy that a soldier pay for equipment damaged/destroyed in battle?

You do?

THAT is unbelievable.

Freakin' clueless.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Originally posted by refrigeration mafia
    "A former U.S. soldier injured in Iraq says he was forced to pay $700 for a blood-soaked Kevlar vest that was destroyed after medics removed it to treat shrapnel wounds to his right arm.

Rebrook was standing in the turret of a Bradley Fighting Vehicle when a roadside bomb exploded Jan. 11, 2005. The explosion fractured his arm and severed an artery. A Black Hawk helicopter airlifted him to a combat support hospital in Baghdad. He was later flown to a hospital in Germany before being transferred to Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington.

"How can it be that the Defense Department, which is requesting $439 billion in this budget, has to resort to dunning a wounded soldier for $700 to replace a piece of body armor?" Byrd asked." [/i]

------

Unbelievable.

I'm surprised that they didn't send him a hospital bill for the medical care he received as well.
    Well, they have to pay for the invasion and material used somehow since the "oil revenues will pay for everything" promise hasn't quite panned out.

Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

Chapman Cohen

See my sig line. The second part.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Yeah, along with VA cuts and cuts in Veterans Benefits. This is Bush's "Support the Troops Plan."
    Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

Chapman Cohen

Originally posted by geerair
    Yeah, along with VA cuts and cuts in Veterans Benefits. This is Bush's "Support the Troops Plan."
    Bash Bush all you want, but the dems are always going to be 100 times worse than Bush when it comes to national defense.

I joined the army in 81, I got to see first hand the crap Jimmy Carter Left behind and the great heights Reagen lifted the military.

This story is pure propaganda BS put out by leftwing newspapers. The army is nearly a million person organization with the majority of its' paperwork being done by privates fresh out of high school. Mistakes like this happen all the time. When the army fixes it you won't hear a peep out of the axxwipes that printed the first story.

Just another example of the press wading through the thousands of stories a day looking for anything to make our military or our president look bad.

[Edited by skrewt on 02-10-2006 at 12:15 AM]

Liberal press? Somebody is confused

AP story. They are hardly known as a member of the alleged liberal Media.

Chapman Cohen

sounds like a

TROLL thread to me

Liberals donate to soldier

Readers of the liberal blog Americablog donated $5400.00 to 1st. Lt. William "Eddie" Rebrook in West Virgina. Rebrook was charged for a bulletproof vest that was taken off him and burned by medical authorities. The money was raised in little more than 2 hours after the Rebrook news item appeared on Americablog.

Reports confirm that the total amount raised for Rebrook by
    screeching "support the troops" conservative blogs and their readers was $0.

Chapman Cohen

Originally posted by bootlen
    You actually believe it is policy that a soldier pay for equipment damaged/destroyed in battle?

You do?

THAT is unbelievable.

Freakin' clueless.
    I have heard of that from freinds of mine that have been in the US military...Usually though it was because they lost something or another...

But a freind of mine destroyed several Magazines as they dropped from his rifle in a small excange of gunfire in Bosnia, and they charged him for the magazines...

Another Freind of mine was charged for a firing pin from his M16 that he "lost" while he was cleaning his rifle...

So, I think some of this is plausible...

Originally posted by refrigeration mafia

"How can it be that the Defense Department, which is requesting $439 billion in this budget, has to resort to dunning a wounded soldier for $700 to replace a piece of body armor?" Byrd asked."

------

Unbelievable.

Piss poor supervision period. I would make sure my troops were never charge with this type of BS!
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein