Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trane to Lon?

Here's the latest status - we've decided to stay away from building 2 the one with the BCU - as he will have dial up capability and with that he feels it is good enough. We have opened up his eyes for the other buildings though and gave him a lon controls spec.

Now Building 1 -

1 - Intellipak Model SFHFC75EM467C##D6F11ABW00G00L00RT008050
    Serial C02K09712

37 - Varitrane VSEF networked boxes

1 - BIC - Part No. X13650576-01 Rev. 6

1 - VAV Programmable Zone Sensor MFG. No. 91K93

1 - Johnson/Penn A419 for discharge air control

From what I am seeing I think I can buy a Lon card for the intellipak - I haven't been able to verify via HMI - and then also buy a t-stat interface to be able to control the unit and get rid of the BIC. The BIC is just 10 DO's. Now my only concern is the communication that goes on via the exisiting Trane network to each of the boxes - is it done via the bic telling it the unit is heating/cooling via the DO's or is there some sort of other communication going on? If there is can I get into that communication? I have called and stopped by my local Trane office and am still waiting for a response from their controls guy. Thanks in advance and for all the input thus far.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

Latest update. We have decided to tell the customer we can not do the job. Opened up a big can of worms with other proposals and Trane also not willing to sell us parts to do the job. Not here to necessarily bad mouth Trane, as I do like alot of their products but the tough part is when you've got a parts/equipment dealer that is also a service company and their ties with companies that buy alot of Trane equipment with them. Their loyalty is to themselves and their bigger customers, which is understandable, but at the same token with them advertising "Lon" capability and then only selling it to who they want to it really is a bit of an oxymoron. Anyway we did at least get a Lon spec in the builder's hands so hopefully he'll put it to use for his future buildings. I also got to give the Trane rep alot of credit as he was straightforward and explained why. On my end it is quite frustrating because the open protocol is there, but it's under lock and key.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform

What parts are they not willing to sell you? The Lon cards are service parts. The BCU will need to be installed and programmed by Trane or a partner company. The local office cannot withhold Rover software from you, only Summit software (have it purchased by a Trane Summit customer).

They will not sell us a Lon card. Also we are told we cannot buy Rover - which we need more - but we can buy Summit.

Sorry to hear that Crab Master.

If it's worth anything, I've done the same thing. I've walked from a Trane job where Trane sold the job as being LON "ready" and when it came time to use another vendor (us), the Trane office made it way too expensive and way too complicated to the customer. On top of that, the local guys had no idea what they were doing (with LON) and it was all a huge mess that was way too risky for us to tackle.

Dealing with Trane can be like fishing with an oversized barbed treble hook. Once you catch one, you might be able to shake the fish free, but it's unlikely it'll survive without massive and expensive intervention so you bring it in the boat and continue fishing for the next one. No one's worried about the fish anymore, there's always another one.

Frustrating.

Nikko

It's ridiculous, not frustrating.

What needed to happen is a meeting with the Owner, Trane, and you guys. Everybody open book what they do, why and how. I'd have got a reference from Army Corps ready to go.

Watch Trane squirm about how difficult they make an easy process that will benefit the owner.

You might be surprised how fast they become helpful when the customer has this disappointed look on their face.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12