Defective Heat Pump Being Installed - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I probably did not make myself clear about the old unit's "blowing at correct temperature". I meant that the air coming through the vents was blowing at an acceptable rate according to the service technician at the time. Not that the air conditioner was staying at the temperature set on the thermostat.

Melody

If the ductwork is undersized.. It will sound like a jet engine, whistle, washermachine, wind noise, etc..

If the ductwork was marginal for the old 3 ton system and the old system had a normal motor in it,, it would just move less air and not work to correct operation state but would not make air noise if the duct work was just marginal because the old blower was unable to adjust blower speed to the correct cfm..

The new unit is trying to move 1400cfm(possibly) and the ductwork may only support 1100cfm which will create many types of wind noise..

J

if the duct work is sized for three ton of cooling and was marginal for that
    yes it will in most cases

one other thing you should conceder is humidity
    the larger the unit the less it will remove. meaning on the not so hot days it can cycle shorter and not pull out enough humidity.

if it is a v drive blower it probably hasnt been set up properly and is running way to high.

from the way your are talking 6000 btu probably wont matter much. a load would be better this way you have some idea of what to expect from the unit

the airhandler may be running to high and has to be slowed down the the proper cfm. if it is on high for max cfm the v- drive will ramp up and the air will roar out

Wonder what parts Fridgedair is sending if they think it is blower related........

Re: Defective Frigidaire Heat Pump Being Installed

Originally posted by melody
    ... about our new heat pump. We are in the middle of an installation of a 3.5 ton Frigidaire (13 Seer - single packaged heat pump, single phase, Q4SD-X42K.

On start up, the unit was whistling like a train.
    The problem is, I am not sure it is wise to buy a brand new unit that came off the truck needing repairs. This is sort of like buying a new car that has a blown engine. The car would never seem new after that.

Any ideas on what is wrong with the unit? Melody
    Ductwork on the package unit.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

I have the Frigidaire price sheet in front of me and a 3.5 ton 13 SEER model # is: FT3BD-042KA. I can't help but wonder what unit you do have.
    All Seasons Heating & Cooling

melody,

What area of the country are you in? Is your home an older, "looser" home without a great deal of insulation?

How long have you lived in the home and was the older system ever adequate on the hottest days of the summer? Or has it never seemed adequate? Had the old system been checked to be sure it was operating at peak performance?
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Q4SD is a 13 seer packaged heat pump made by nordyne. Frigidaire,Philco and others. It sure sound as if the unit is sized to large for the existing ductwork. They need to do some more testing as stated in the other post. Keep us posted.Good luck

This isn't on thier price sheet but it is on thier website.

[Edited by sjohio on 02-09-2006 at 07:05 PM]
    Steve J.

A search showed that as a 13 seer package heat pump which Nordyne markets as Frigidaire, Maytag, Philco, Tappan, and Westinghouse.

Probably shipped with a package of labels to make it the brand of your choice.

Since the installers didnt know what the dip switches on the board are for I agree with others that it is not set up properly and moving too much air.

Although it is hard to tell from here.

Ya beat me sjohio. I type too slow.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Originally posted by HVAC Pro
    What area of the country are you in? Is your home an older, "looser" home without a great deal of insulation?

I cant help but think that it must be a fairly humid locale

I'm inclined to believe that it is a warmer area too jacob. Especially if the old one was running all the time.

I'm sure that old 10 SEER or less would have better latent heat capacity than the new one. But not if it were running 45 superheat.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

HVAC Pro -

I live in South Ga in a 35 year old home. It has a wood foundation with no insulation under the floor, however, it is blocked in and vented. The attic has pretty good insulation. I have lived here for 3 years. The older system was never adequate in the hottest part of the summer. It had been checked several times and was operating at capacity, but just not cool enough.

Sjohio -

The ductwork may be too small. I did ask the owner of the business today and he said that the old unit was a 3.5 ton and the new unit was a 3.5 ton and it should be okay. I think I may have mistakenly said earlier that the old unit was a 3 ton. My apologies. The way the air is whipping through the vents, I am very concerned about the size of the ductwork.

a\c don - You are correct. There were no labels on the unit. There are places for labels, but none on there. The installers told us that there were some dip switches that were not marked on the unit and that they were going to find out about them.

We called the owner of the business today to find out the status of our situation and he said that Frigidaire has had 3 or 4 of these new units that they had to replace the blower assembly in. That is what Frigidaire is sending for our unit.

I asked about adjusting the speed on the v drive blower and he said that may help the situation until the new blower assembly got here. He sent someone out and that is when it got interesting.

The technician changed some settings and while we were waiting to see what happened, he mentioned that the when they picked up the unit from a major distributor here in town, the unit did not have any paperwork. They asked for it, but they said they did not have any.

That is why they did not know the settings for it. Frigidaire had faxed them the switch settings right before he came this afternoon. I asked him if what they missing was the tech specs and he said yes. I handed him my copy of the tech specs that I had found online the night before. Same thing the manufacturer had faxed, only more detailed. I guess they did not have the install instructions either.

Changing the switches to the 975 CFM (advised by Frigidaire) did not help the problem. Sure hope the new blower assembly takes care of it.

[Edited by melody on 02-11-2006 at 12:46 AM]

Jacob Perkins -
    Since I live in humid South Ga, what will the high humidity do?

HVAC Pro - Latent Heat?

A huge thank you to all who responded.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast