Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red face Defective Frigidaire Heat Pump Being Installed

I really need some advice on what to do about our new heat pump. We are in the middle of an installation of a 3.5 ton Frigidaire (13 Seer - single packaged heat pump, single phase, Q4SD-X42K.

On start up, the unit was whistling like a train. The installers believed that it was caused by the way the air was being pulled through the fan. Next day, after talking with Frigidaire, they believe that the trouble lies with the blower assembly. Frigidaire is now sending repair parts. Also, there is a question about some dip switches that are not marked and they will be checking with Frigidaire as well to see about them.

While waiting on the parts, the techs worked on getting rid of some of the noise so that we could live with it. They believed they got rid of about 80% of the noise. However, when I got home the heat came on and it sounded like a jet engine was taking off in the room with me.

At this point, we are thinking that we are purchasing a lemon. This is a lot of money to spend. We spent about 2 weeks getting estimates and researching brands. We did not go with the cheapest by far.

The problem is, I am not sure it is wise to buy a brand new unit that came off the truck needing repairs. This is sort of like buying a new car that has a blown engine. The car would never seem new after that.

Any ideas on what is wrong with the unit? Any opinions on what a customer should do when a unit is defective when installed?

Thanks! Melody

Do the installers know if it is actually the unit that is the cause of the noise or if it is the ductwork is too small for the size unit they installed???

Was the ductwork redone?
    Is the new unit the same size as the old unit?
    Did they take a return static and supply static to determine the TESP(total external static pressure) to determine the cfm the unit is running at??

I find most problems are sizing, installation and application rather that equipment problems..

Goodluck
    J

Let us know what you find out..

did they do a load on your house to make sure the correct size unit was put in

or did as has been said just replace the same size or worse guess at it

The ductwork was not redone. We were told that it looked like it was in good shape and that they would check it further when they went under the house.

The old unit was a 20 year old 3 ton Carrier heat pump. The new unit is a 3.5 ton Frigidaire.

I have no idea about the TESP test.

Thanks for your ideas.

Melody

I agree with advanced. It sounds like an installation problem not a furnace problem. They could very well have duct problems for the size fan installed.

Have them do the checks mentioned above and post answers. The more info we have the better we can help.

Is that the right model# for the unit? Sold Frigidaire for a long time and it dosn't sound right.
    Its a good Life!

Tinknocker - No, they did not perform a load test on the house. Not one of the companies (licensed & reputable) did a load test. Everyone of them based the size of the unit on the footage of the house.

1750 sq ft house

Lets see,,, they installed a 3.5 ton unit where a previous 3 ton unit had worked before.. Why did they upsize the unit.. Many times the original ductwork is marginal for the size that is orginally installed.. If no ductwork modifications were done then why was a 3.5 ton unit installed?? Only a load calculation will tell you what size is needed..

What a mess..
    J

Is this a Variable speed blower unit?

m kilgore -

That was the number that was on the outside of the unit. Although, I did notice that the unit did not have brand labels on the outside.

Advanced Response -

It is an ECM Variable Speed Motor.

The unit was upsized as the 3 ton unit was not keeping the house cool in the hottest part of summer.

First thing I would recommend is a load calculation!! You can do one yourself by clicking on the red tab at the top hvac Calc.. This will tell you what you need.. Also, you stated the old unit would not keep up.. Did it maintain temperature, if not at what temp did it not keep temp..

The old unit may have had problems that made it not keep up..

A ecm unit will try to force air thru a straw whether or not that straw is able to carry that air.. Need a load calc done and need the ducts checked.. Also the ecm blower control needs to be set up correctly if it is not already..

A hack upsizes a unit with no load calculation..

What a mess..
    J

Advanced Response -

The old unit ran continuously all day long in August. The unit was checked and serviced and would blow at the degree it was supposed to. It just could not cool the house.

Old unit gave up the ghost, however, one month after we spent a few hundred on a new blower motor and squirrel cage.

A unit should run all day long and maintain the temp in the house on the hotest days of the yr.. If a unit cycles on the hotest days of the yr it is oversized!!!

If your old unit ran all day long but kept the house at a comfortable temp,, it was doing its job.. If you had the unit on a programable t-stat or turned your unit up and down, a properly sized unit would not be able to recover on the hotest days of the yr..

I have a feeling your old unit was properly sized..

J

Advanced Response -

Thank you for your advice.

The old unit stayed about 8-9 degrees over what the thermostat was set at in the afternoon and early evening during the hottest part of the summer.

If the new unit is oversized, would it cause noises such as whistling and jet plane roaring?

Melody

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast