Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wits end!

Angry

I am building a home and I am being told that my builder wants to install a 5 ton 2 thermostat zone dampening system by goodman. My house is 3362 sq.ft. and the plan calls for a 2 unit system. The vendor that is working with my builder says the 2 thermostat zone system is more economical. Am I being taken for a ride by my builder and vendor?

It can be done if:

Proper room by room load calculation(Manual J) is done and indicates a 5 ton system will cool the house... And the proper furnace is selected..
    AND
    Proper duct design(Manual D) to ensure the ductwork is properly sized NOT based off of an abitrary number like .1 on the ductulator but actually a tabulated TEL and etc..
    AND
    The ducts are upsize 25% of that number because of having zoning..

That will provide a great system..
    I would recommend a two stage system.. Also I would highly recommend a unit with a variable speed blower..

All zoning systems that I have found that did not work was due to improper sizing, ductwork or set-up..

All these aspects are imported whether or not a zone system is used or two systems are used.. Thus the need for a great installer..

Goodluck
    J

[Edited by Advanced Response on 02-08-2006 at 10:23 PM]

zone system works great as long as what has been said is done

imo with a house that size stick to your guns and get two units. remember you are the one buying the house and have to live in it not them

Personally I would go with two systems. I would rather have the compressors working at load than partial load all the time. The above information is true, but its still one system. What if you have a failure? At least part of your house will have heat and cool.

A 2 zone system works fine if done right.
    And its more economical than 2 systems, for the builder.
    Is he giving you a price break on the zoned system over 2 systems? If not go with 2 systems.

zoning systems work but only for those who have the knowledge to use them so youll get 5 no ways and 1 yes.
    just remember this not every part of your haouse needs air all the time. the east needs air in the morning and the west needs air at evening. the thing work great and these controls are as reliable as the sun coming up tomorrow.
    now the system your getting will not be as reliable but to elcheapo good luck. you can believe some of the things some of the timee but not all the things all the time.

Tell them what YOU want and if they don't want to listen find someone who will.

Zoning is better than nothing! 2 systems is the better route!

Lightbulb Stick to Plans !

Originally posted by 3423rptmike
    I am building a home and I am being told that my builder wants to install a 5 ton 2 thermostat zone dampening system by goodman. My house is 3362 sq.ft. and the plan calls for a 2 unit system. The vendor that is working with my builder says the 2 thermostat zone system is more economical. Am I being taken for a ride by my builder and vendor?
    2 Systems or Bust

(1 system with zoning is
    NOT significantly less expensive on the installation cost).
    Builder wants an extra few $100 in his pocket.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Originally posted by 3423rptmike
    Whose house is it? Get want you want in YOUR house or walk.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Style

How the house is designed will make a difference. Location of the unit, how the duct is run, ceiling height, windows. Everything needs to be taken into consideration. It’s a big place so you may want two units and zone everything.

Theoretically, a two zone system is trying is trying to get two independant systems from one system. It's a comprimise. When it's done right by an experienced contractor, it works well. When it's installed by a contractor that really doesn't have the experience with these particular systems, you will get poor results. Get the two systems.

demand your full allowance for hvac & hire a reputable contractor, one that does manual, j & d get a good plan on paper . go with 2 systems 1 up 1 down. get references, go with all metal trunk, external insulation, if any flex used be sue its at least r-6 & foil faced. dont skimp on equipment, look at american standard 16 seer . its worth a few extra bucks you will save lotsa money & be very comfortable.
    you have to decide if ya want a 8 year system or one that will probably run in excess of 10 years needing only maintenance. chances are that a contractor that installs low end equipment may allso be cutting corners elsewhere.
    stay away from bubba duct design, proper design is an exact science.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast