Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I just got a Trane Air Handler and heat pump both 3.0 puron and had 1 question. This is all new to me, so Im sorry if this question seems a little stupid. With the heat pump on only with no aux heat, will it always blow hot air from the vents? It just seems that every time the heat pump is on and the fan is blowing the air does not feel hot at all. The installer said that just because the heat pump is on, does not mean there will be hot air coming from the air handler. He said if the thermostat is at 70, and the room is at 70, even though the heat pump is running it will not create hot air since it is not needed. I guess what I am trying to ask is does a heat pump have different variables of heat, or is it simply just on or off and it always blows hot air.

if the heat pump is on and it is working properly it will be blowing hot(warm) air. do not confuse the fan coil blower with the heat pump. the indoor fan can be re-circulating air and the heat pump not be running. is your fan set to "on" or "auto". auto it only runs when heating or cooling. "on" runs all the time

Heatpumps when they are on will always blow warm air. It just isn't the hot air alot of people are used to. Gas and oil blow much warmer air. But like your tech told you, as long as your maintaining teperature don't worry about it.

Originally posted by dac350
    pump have different variables of heat, or is it simply just on or off and it always blows hot air.
    besides what was already said,the answer is yes. the colder it is outside (or inside) the less heat will be felt at the vent.

OK, one other question. Should the copper lines get warm to the touch going from the heat pump to the air handler when the heat pump is on? Because mine are slightly warmer than room temp and it's about 25 degrees outside. Thanks for all the info.

Yes, especially the bigger line.

The big line should be quite a bit higher than room temp, as it's now the hot gas line. Have your system checked.Just don't expect 130 degree air out of your vents with a heatpump.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Wink Carrier or Trane

Originally posted by dac350
    I just got a Trane Air Handler and heat pump
    both 3.0 puron and had 1 question.

... the fan is blowing the air does not feel hot at all.

He said if the thermostat is at 70, and the room is at 70, even though the heat pump is running it will not create hot air since it is not needed. I guess what I am trying to ask is does a heat pump have different variables of heat, or is it simply just on or off and it always blows hot air.
    Heat pump will deliver ~92'F air.

No such thing as "3.0 puron" in TRANE equipment.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Just love that Puron,seems consumers think, it's in every brand!!LOL

Since you're a Trane owner learn to say R410a instead of Puron. You're furthering Carrier's cause by using one of their monikers. Nothing wrong with it, but one of my peeves even though I support Carrier (to some extent ).

The large line between the "outdoor unit" and the "indoor unit, or air handler" should be quite warm even at 25.

Get a good thermometer and measure the air entering your return grille (intake, the large grille), and then measure the temperature coming out of the register closest to the location of the indoor unit. You should notice somewhere in the neighborhood of a 20 difference between these two readings. These measurements are crude but should serve as a guideline. If the difference is very low there could be a problem. If it is much higher, the auxilliary heat is probably on.

Has your installation company been back out to verify proper operation or are they telling you this over the phone?
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

They are coming out on monday to look over everything. Thanks for all the help.

Would you mind reporting their findings with us so we aren't left hanging? Thanks, and good luck!
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

yes, no prob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast