My HVAC guy (I handle the insulation end) quoted a system that caused the owner to have a heart attack. Owner's home is very large ranch style home: 3k sqft on the ground floor with a full finished basement converted into offices and bar.

Current system:
    Two 3 ton systems that have zones that overlap and are completely out of balance. I would have to provide pictures of the duct work, its beyond words to describe. The current electrical will at least need new disconnects.

Owner wants a single zone upstairs with a mini-split downstairs. The house is getting major insulation improvements (this is the part I handle), so it will now take 5 tons upstairs (high glazing loads) with a 1 ton mini split downstairs (mostly office equipment, computers, etc).

He claims to have a bid for both zones of $XXX and another for the upstairs only for $XXX. Now.. if you were to do this job as CHEAPLY as possible (forgoing quality in material and workmanship to get to that price) would you be successful in matching that price? Remember.. there are two old systems, complete with ducts (attic space) that need to be removed without damaging an expensive home?

My side of this isn't budging on the price.. but even with a hack job.. I find it hard to believe someone could do this job that cheap and not find himself in court later.

>>>edit

(No pricing, due to site rules )

If you are a professional (which some of your posts indicate) in the HVAC/R field, please fill out your profile and register as such. Then, you may join us in the professional areas. We can't discuss pricing in the residential forum.

[Edited by Mod01 on 02-08-2006 at 07:31 PM]

Sounds like it will take a few days just ripping and tearing.

sounds like hs allso moe than likely oversized too, only manual j will tell, sounds like he need to have the hack do the work , stand back laugh & dont go back. he will get what he pays for.

This is Turtle.

Hack jobs are hard to be brought into court for it cost almost as much time and labor figuring out what the problem is as to collecting on the problem. now also any major hack jobs are worth it.

TURTLE

Originally posted by turtle
    This is Turtle.

Hack jobs are hard to be brought into court for it cost almost as much time and labor figuring out what the problem is as to collecting on the problem. now also any major hack jobs are worth it.

TURTLE
    A lot of stuff that is considered a "hack job" is not illegal & going to court will get you nowhere. Its not illegal to do a job & make it look like crap. Its not illegal to put a system in a house without doing a load calc. Sloppy work is sad to see but its no crime.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.