Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Our Muslim Priorities -
    A Message From Beirut

By Rana el-Khatib
    2-7-6

The now infamous offensive cartoons have created a snowball effect in the Muslim world. Everywhere, it seems, in Muslim circles, the Danish flag is being burned and stomped on. And in some places, mobs are taking to the streets and wreaking havoc within the vicinity of a Danish Embassy somewhere. The cartoons were offensive, insensitive and blasphemous for Muslims * of that there is no question. And Muslims have every right to voice their opinions against that sort of unabashed racist stereotyping - within reason. But while the Muslim world is up in arms over the cartoons, that same Muslim world, barring the relatively small number of voices here and there, remains deafeningly silent on other issues that should be of equal importance, like Iraq as one example. There are people in Iraq who are killing and maiming in the name of Islam - the very same Islam we vociferously defend when it is defaced by bigots.

Sure the Muslim world is upset at the offensive images. And sure there are riots on the streets. No one should have expected anything less. The insensitive, xenophobic attempts at humor, at the expense of Muslims worldwide, struck at the heart of Islam. For those perplexed, maybe even offended by the reaction of the Muslims, or who cannot get their mind around why the Muslims are so mad, they might want to consider a different scenario.

Had the subject of the cartoon depicted an exaggeratedly "Semitic" Moses donning a yarmulke and flying an F-16 with a Star of David glistening around his neck (to make certain there was no mistaking the race or religion) and bombing innocent humans below with a smug grin on his face, all hell would have broken loose only hours after the first copy hit the market. Jewish communities would have hung the newspaper, and anyone associated with it, out to dry. And long before the snowball would have gotten to the size that this one has, the paper, the entire country, and almost all of the citizens of Denmark, and Europe, would have been out on the streets demanding * at a minimum - an apology. And no one, in the name of "Freedom of Press", as some have done with the cartoons that have set the Muslim world ablaze, would have had the chutzpah to run them again in their newspapers to prove a point.

While the Muslim world's outrage, on this front, is completely understandable, it is glaring how, on other significant fronts, like Iraq, the Muslim world remains shamefully voiceless. The Muslim world may have stood up in an attempt to divert the plan to bomb Iraq back to the 12^th century by Mr. George Bush and his coalition forces in the months and weeks leading up to March of 2003, but they did it along with the rest of the world. Once the Americans got started, however, the entire world stood silent at the spectacle of international law gone amok at the expense of Iraq and its people. Maybe there was not much that anyone could have done by then except watch and hope for the best. But maybe we all could have done more.

Today, three years later, and as with every day in Iraq since the American led occupation, Iraqis are dying. They are not only dying at the hands of the coalition forces * the so-called enemy - but at the hands of Muslims * or people murdering in the name of Islam. Iraq has gone to hell * its seams long undone and the ripple effect threatening the stability of the entire region. And the Muslim world at large is sitting back on its haunches watching * no demonstrations, no nothing, only frustrations at the rape of Iraq by the West. There is hardly any mention of the bludgeoning of humans in the name of Islam.

When the subject does come up, however, many Muslims conveniently pull out the worn-out, overused, throw-the-blame-elsewhere, conspiracy theories. We blame everyone for our realities * Israel, America, etc. but do not stand up to our own * hold ourselves accountable for what we are, or are not, doing. And while we are busy hurling our accusations at everyone but ourselves, someone is killing innocent humans - fathers, brothers, sisters, mothers, sons and daughters * unabated in Iraq and hiding behind the cloak of Islam and behind dark, ominous, cowardly masks.

No reason is good enough or can justify the murders of the innocent. So where does the Muslim majority stand on all this? Why are we not out on the streets en masse, demonstrating peacefully to show the world that we do not endorse murder * we are above the fray and that Islam strongly condemns murder as one of the most unforgivable of human crimes? Instead, the Muslim world does not seem to bat an eye lash * maybe the odd tear but not an eyelash. We do little to stop the madness, to hold Muslims either accountable for their egregious acts of violence against other innocent humans, or defend Islam and its tenets to those who do not know.

Something is very wrong if we have this much energy, and we have proven that we can stand up for what we believe to be wrong, but we cannot stand up to murder in the name of Islam by so-called Muslims. Instead, we find excuses * "But it's the occupation"

The Prophet Mohammad tolerated trash being thrown on him as he prayed and he refused to respond with violence. He was opposed to any form of retaliation unless it was in self-defense and was absolutely necessary. And even then, there were guiding principles of war that included only targeting those in combat and nothing else * not even the trees surrounding a warring area. Today, however, in the name of Islam, daily human and other life is snuffed, and we in the Muslim world choose silence over dissent.

The Muslim world needs to re-evaluate its priorities before the face of Islam is permanently hijacked by the ignorant and hopes for a revival in an Islamic renaissance lost forever.

Rana El Khatib is an author and poet living in Lebanon.
    She can be reached at brandedpoetry@yahoo.com
    mailto:brandedpoetry@yahoo.com.

"The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

I think the problem is muslims are stupid

and...they don't know it.

Originally posted by so.cal.a/c

That statement is proof, that there are dumb asses all over this world.

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

what that guy wrote was not only biased, but naieve.

What he wrote about Muslims is only partly true.
    And secondly, the Israelis HAVE faced bad press. For years!!!
    And they have NOT made the world sorry for whatever it shoved in their face, in the name of "free speech".

Jews primarily and Christians in second place ... are the only one's on the Planet Earth who are being singled out for extermination!
    Christians wont use the bomb. The Jews however, just might want to.
    I happen to have good information that the Jews will NOT be responsible for nuking the arabs, despite what the Islamic peoples of the Planet Earth try to do to them!

Hatred is a terrible thing to point at someone. And the Jews & Christians are in their cross-hairs.

But they are NOT going to be wiped off the face of the Earth.

Its a young religion and it wasnt so long ago that we were burning witches. Never the less, wrong is wrong.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

I think what all you nay sayers missed, when you read Her essay, is that Muslims need to take a closer look at them selves, and become responsible for their own actions... If the westen world sees Muslims as terrorists, then they have failed as a religon......And how can they correct this perception?

At least thats what I got from the article...

Originally posted by so.cal.a/c
    Or people who grow up breathing that crappy LA air, which is linked to mental retardation....

I never attempt to offend anyone on religious, racial, or any other grounds, but I do notice that the more arrogant and/or insecure someone is, the more easily they are offended.

Originally posted by deanmech
    I never attempt to offend anyone on religious, racial, or any other grounds, but I do notice that the more arrogant and/or insecure someone is, the more easily they are offended.
    Of course...Look at at all the morons rioting in the middle east over 12 cartoons...

Of course Mob rules sometimes...

It's not just mob rule. Several countries in the MidEast are behind the riots. Inciting the people to riot. I think Syria and Iran were mentioned on the news.

\also, I think it was yesterday, one of the news anchors remarked that all of a sudden there sure are a lot of Danish flags ready to be burned. Might be something to that.

It's a cesspool of violence and most of the rioters don't have a clue as to what is the main issue. They don't need it. They just want to protest against Israel and the theory of democracy because they are told to do so from Birth.

saying a hole religion is stupid was a joke
    just the fact that it gets some people so worked up makes it evan funnier to me.
    it's not the smog it's the smoke right now.
    but making fun of retards aint cool.....

As I see it

the Muslim priorities are;

oppress women
    convert infidels or kill them
    destroy Isreal
    destroy western culture
    execute innocent people to make a point
    use terrorism to destabalize
    oppress free speech
    oppress free press
    and last but certainly not least.........

TRY TO FIGURE OUT A WAY NOT TO PAY ME AFTER I REPAIR THEIR A/C SYSTEM

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast