Post Need Guru Help on Refridgerator !!!!!

I have a refrigerator which hums but will not start compressor. I suspected the PTC relay, took it and put a 100w bulb in series, noticed that its taking almost a minute to switch off the bulb. Is this normal? Because I once had someone say the bulb has to flash only and switch off. please help.

I never hooked a light bulb to a PTC.

I always checked it and replaced as needed.

jim
    Common sense isn't very common anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Thabto View Post
    I have a refrigerator which hums but will not start compressor. I suspected the PTC relay, took it and put a 100w bulb in series, noticed that its taking almost a minute to switch off the bulb. Is this normal? Because I once had someone say the bulb has to flash only and switch off. please help.
    Interesting, I never heard of it done that way.

If I was working on this job, I would remove the PTC and install a kick start kit.
    Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H.L. Hunt

"In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it." John uskin

Where do I get a kick start kit? How does it work?

They're a prewired start capaciter/relay assembly. 2 wires go in (supply) 3 wires come out (compressor common/start/run). Check compressor hp and terminals match. If it still hums compressor is DOA.

If the compressor hums the internal is seized and the compressor is properly bad. Also what are the RLA on the compressor. that will let you know if the compressor is bad.
    Last edited by Navy06; 11-27-2011 at 11:42 AM. Reason: add

check LRA if its close replace compressor start components check for acid in system and nuetrilize accordinly acidaway and hh suction sucton drier

By putting the 100W bulb in series you are dampening the boost the compressor needs to start. It may very well last for an extended period of time.
    Try a new capacitor or one of those kick start kits. The kits are cheap enough so you can try it, but in my experience you will either be buying a new compressor now or soon even if the kick start gets it working.

By that unit humming you are overheating the coils and if it was good you are putting additional stress on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy06 View Post
    If the compressor hums the internal is seized and the compressor is properly bad. Also what are the RLA on the compressor. that will let you know if the compressor is bad.
    Not true. Relay could be bad, could be restricted.
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

I have had good luck with kick starts. I always let the customer know their options and let them make the decision after giving them the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Oasis Services View Post
    I have had good luck with kick starts. I always let the customer know their options and let them make the decision after giving them the facts.
    Yea its a roll of the dice. it may work but you have to at least let them know you are trying to save them a few bucks but the compressor may be living on borrowed time.