Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 53 to 65 of 168
  1. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,175
    None of you guys who oppose national health care have answered my question so I'll ask it again.
    Do you think we should do away with Medicare?

    I'm not talking about making changes to it or calling it something else but the actual premise of national health care for the elderly.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

  2. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    None of you guys who oppose national health care have answered my question so I'll ask it again.
    Do you think we should do away with Medicare?

    I'm not talking about making changes to it or calling it something else but the actual premise of national health care for the elderly.
    Good question, but don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.

  3. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,933
    Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    None of you guys who oppose national health care have answered my question so I'll ask it again.
    Do you think we should do away with Medicare?

    I'm not talking about making changes to it or calling it something else but the actual premise of national health care for the elderly.
    Sorry, but yes, I do believe that Medicare is also mishandled by being a government intervention into our lives.
    Medicare fraud includes bills sent to Medicare for services and medical supplies that patients never receive. According to an article on MSNBC in January 2010, Medicare loses more than $60 million every year due to fraud.
    Not all doctors accept Medicare. Patients in some areas may have trouble finding a doctor that accepts it, especially if they need to see a specialist.

    Medicare Part A covers inpatient care. However, patients that require a great deal of inpatient care must pay fairly significant co-pays. As of 2010, patients pay $1,100 for days one to 60 in each benefit period. Patients then pay $275 per day for days 61 to 90 and $550 per day after that. This amount usually increases every year.

    Medicare covers mental healthcare but at lower rates than other outpatient medical care. In 2010, Medicare pays 80 percent of most outpatient services, such as visits to a doctor's office, but only 55 percent of outpatient mental health care like counseling.

    Medicare does not cover some services, including most dental care, dentures and hearing aids. Medicare recipients may have difficulty paying for these things.
    What Are Some Problems With Medicare? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_6148243_pr...#ixzz1mqeWFoWi

    Rational regulations of insurance companies could very well require insurance companies to take on the risks that they keep sloughing off onto government programs through lobbying politicians who are willing to pass laws that benefit insurance companies.

    Once again, had government not intervened with the health care industry, the problems that cause Medicare to be needed would not exist.

    For the elderly, insurance coverage can be part of a retirement plan, including Social Security, until we are able to get rid of it as well.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  4. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,933
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarMike View Post
    Good question, but don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.
    You really do like antagonizing in favor of Socialism, don't you? Even while national healt programs are failing all over the world, you are still plugging for Communism.

    Tell you what; when all Canadians are content enough with the healthcare system in Canada, then you can preach the virtues of Socialism to Americans;
    During a healthcare debate at Rockefeller Center on September 16, Krugman decided to demonstrate the superiority of the Canadian healthcare system. He asked all the Canadians in the audience to raise their hands. Seven hands went up in the air.
    That’s where Krugman should have stopped. Instead, he asked how many of our northern neighbors think they have a terrible healthcare system.
    Oops. Never mind.
    <object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3EPd2i4Jshs...</param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3EPd2i4Jshs...dded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

    http://www.ihatethemedia.com/paul-kr...zed-healthcare
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  5. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,175
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Sorry, but yes, I do believe that Medicare is also mishandled by being a government intervention into our lives.
    Is this a "yes"?
    .....................
    For the elderly, insurance coverage can be part of a retirement plan, including Social Security, until we are able to get rid of it as well.
    Is this a "no"?
    I'm not sure if that was a "yes" answer to my question or not.
    I thought I made it clear by saying:
    I'm not talking about making changes to it or calling it something else but the actual premise of national health care for the elderly.
    Today 08:27 AM
    All the flaws or abuses in Medicare have nothing to do with my question.
    You either agree the gov should help the elderly get medical care or not.
    Right now its called Medicare but if you change the name or make it part of retirement its still the gov. helping the elderly.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

  6. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    You really do like antagonizing in favor of Socialism, don't you? Even while national healt programs are failing all over the world, you are still plugging for Communism.

    Tell you what; when all Canadians are content enough with the healthcare system in Canada, then you can preach the virtues of Socialism to Americans;
    <object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3EPd2i4Jshs...</param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3EPd2i4Jshs...dded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

    http://www.ihatethemedia.com/paul-kr...zed-healthcare
    Conjecture, but if asked if they would like to change it for the US system, no hands would go up, because we know better.

  7. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    806

    A qualified NO

    Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    None of you guys who oppose national health care have answered my question so I'll ask it again.
    Do you think we should do away with Medicare?

    I'm not talking about making changes to it or calling it something else but the actual premise of national health care for the elderly.
    The politicians, who don't live by the rules they make, have dug a hole that we cannot get out of without a lot of pain.

    One scenario...that would never work since there is little personal responsibility any longer, would be that the new generations would have less stolen from their paychecks with the absolute knowledge that they would have to squirrel that money away safely, knowing full well in their "golden years" that the gubment would not provide health care for them. Of course the hand-wringing would begin as soon as these people grow old and it is discovered that instead of putting the money away they bought new cars and toys, took great vacations etc...instead of planning for medical care and now they can't afford their meds.

    The people who have had the money confiscated from them for years would revolt if now it was decreed that instead of putting the money away for those who contributed, it was squandered by our "leaders".

    We have been forced into this addiction and I'm not willing to suffer financially after 30+ years of payment, so my answer is NO...but I still don't want to subsidize those too lazy or have never paid into the system (illegals) to want a national health system.

    Or how about if you decide thru freedom of choice that you don't want to exercise, smoke, drink rotgut to excess, eat nothing but junk, you can pay a larger proportion for your care. I wouldn't suggest a health police, but, if you needed meds or treatment proven to be caused by your choices and did not pay the extra, guess what...you are not covered. That would be the best solution IMO, since everyone is free to make choices and I don't have to pay for those who need extra medical care because they made choices in their lives.
    Avatar is a tribute to my Great Grandfather, Andrew Stewart. This pin was one of his advertisements for his heating and plumbing business. I never knew him but must of inherited his love of things mechanical since I am the only blue collar worker in the family

  8. #60
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,933
    Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    I'm not sure if that was a "yes" answer to my question or not.
    I thought I made it clear by saying:
    All the flaws or abuses in Medicare have nothing to do with my question.
    You either agree the gov should help the elderly get medical care or not.
    Right now its called Medicare but if you change the name or make it part of retirement its still the gov. helping the elderly.
    Sorry again for not making myself clear;
    YES!
    I do believe that Medicare should be eliminated.

    But you are not going to tie my hands by not allowing me to say that what Medicare provides can be provided by private industry much better at a lower cost to all Americans.

    Once government is completely out of our lives from a social standpoint, private industry and private social organizations and religious organizations will get back to doing what they used to do a lot better then government has ever done; taking care of citizens truly in need of not only creature comforts, but also for social needs pertaining to moralities, ethics and the ability to be contributing citizens.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  9. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,933
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarMike View Post
    Conjecture, but if asked if they would like to change it for the US system, no hands would go up, because we know better.
    That is only your opinion. Could you just for once have a conversation based on what actually occurs rather then what you think might possibly occur?

    Do you not realize that all of what you claim to be true is actually only in your head?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  10. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    That is only your opinion. Could you just for once have a conversation based on what actually occurs rather then what you think might possibly occur?

    Do you not realize that all of what you claim to be true is actually only in your head?
    I'm not going to answer you because even if I had the most persuasive argument with irrefutable evidence, you would not accept it because you DON'T WANT TO ACCEPT IT.

  11. #63
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,933
    Quote Originally Posted by texas cooler View Post
    The politicians, who don't live by the rules they make, have dug a hole that we cannot get out of without a lot of pain.

    One scenario...that would never work since there is little personal responsibility any longer, would be that the new generations would have less stolen from their paychecks with the absolute knowledge that they would have to squirrel that money away safely, knowing full well in their "golden years" that the gubment would not provide health care for them. Of course the hand-wringing would begin as soon as these people grow old and it is discovered that instead of putting the money away they bought new cars and toys, took great vacations etc...instead of planning for medical care and now they can't afford their meds.

    The people who have had the money confiscated from them for years would revolt if now it was decreed that instead of putting the money away for those who contributed, it was squandered by our "leaders".

    We have been forced into this addiction and I'm not willing to suffer financially after 30+ years of payment, so my answer is NO...but I still don't want to subsidize those too lazy or have never paid into the system (illegals) to want a national health system.

    Or how about if you decide thru freedom of choice that you don't want to exercise, smoke, drink rotgut to excess, eat nothing but junk, you can pay a larger proportion for your care. I wouldn't suggest a health police, but, if you needed meds or treatment proven to be caused by your choices and did not pay the extra, guess what...you are not covered. That would be the best solution IMO, since everyone is free to make choices and I don't have to pay for those who need extra medical care because they made choices in their lives.
    For those of us who do not take the responsibility to provide for our future, we don't deserve anything better then we get on our own. I say "we" because I am one who has not taken measures to secure my future in old age. I never thought I would make it this far! So, for me, I am destined to work till I drop. Fortunately, I have been responsible enough to develope skills that allow me to work without much physical efforts. Still, I get what I deserve because that was my choice in how I lived.

    If we can just get back to having progressively less government intervention in our lives, we will continually get back to being more responsible for ourselves. For those who simply do not have the capacity to be responsible for themselves or have just fell on hard times, Americans are very benevilant people; we will provide for those who cannot provide for themselves.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  12. #64
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,933
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarMike View Post
    I'm not going to answer you because even if I had the most persuasive argument with irrefutable evidence, you would not accept it because you DON'T WANT TO ACCEPT IT.
    IF....IF....IF....do you realize how often you use this little word that is nothing more then an excuse for you to not be able to be rational?

    How about you stop predicting what others would do or say and just make an attempt at posting something that is actually truthful?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  13. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    IF....IF....IF....do you realize how often you use this little word that is nothing more then an excuse for you to not be able to be rational?

    How about you stop predicting what others would do or say and just make an attempt at posting something that is actually truthful?
    You do have a way of getting my goat.

    I can only say what I said above because you have posted enough for me to be able to see a trend. It is quite clear or i would not have said it.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event