I posted this on the HVAC forum but this may be more appropriate. My son has placed a contract on a home and the inspection was today. The home inspector found mold on a portion of the joists in the basement. We have a few questions and hopefully you can help:

1. Is this a deal breaker?
    2.If we respond, what is the best way to phrase it for the contract?
    3. What kind of company does the inspection and mold removal?
    Thanks from both of us.

In no way is this a deal breaker
    Have owner pay you back for it! Don't let them do it they will get the cheapest person to do it.
    Look for a compant that deals with mold!

Sbudnick you absolutly need to get it under control. In most cases it can be brought under control for a price . You need to have some one in your area that does mold remedation inspect it and see what the real situation is. If the mold goes through a cycle it has the ability to go air born and spread through out the house. Also need to find the source of the mold like the lack of air flow water leak condensation ect.. in the basement so it wont reaccur after remedeation.I don't think its a deal breaker but you need to take it seriously.
    Paul
    Genesis Air

Thanks for your response. About 25% of the basemenbt is involved. The mold is green in color rather than black. The basement is concrete but is only partially excavated on the periphery and is dirt, uncovered by plastic. There are some small openings around windows and an old coal chute. We had two inches of hard rain yesterday and there was no water in basement. I am a little perplexed.

Whwre are you located

Atlanta, GA

Cover all earth with plastic and get Santa Fa dehumidifier. Many basements have this problem and fixed everyday. I posted some comments on your other post. TB

Follow-up

Thought you would like to have some follow-up. We have done the following:

1.Had independent environmental company come out for a
    consultation. They gave suggestions for remediation.
    2.Seller was given 3 names of mold remediation companies with excellent reputations for estimates to clean the mold.
    3. All dirt surfaces in basement and crawl space to be covered with 6 mil plastic.
    4. All unecessary openings to outside to be sealed.
    5. Purchase appropriate dehumidifier and
    condensate pump.
    6. Postremoval mold airtest by qualified environmental company.

Am curious about cost and response by seller. Thanks for all of your suggestions.