carrier 19xl obsolecence?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

carrier 19xl obsolecence?

I have lingered for a while now without posting. I have not followed up with Carrier specifically, but I received a notification from one of my vendors regarding my 19XL's in a specific building:

...Carrier Model 19XL Centrifugal Chiller PSIO Control Module Obsolescence

Jeff,
    The purpose of this communication is to discuss the obsolescence of the Processor Sensor Input/Output (PSIO) module
    that provides direct digital control for the Carrier model: 19XL high pressure centrifugal chillers currently operating at
    this facility.
    The modules are no longer manufactured and the remaining Carrier Replacement Components Division stock has been
    depleted.
    If the PSIO module fails, the chiller will be completely down until a Carrier 32RetroPIC11 controls conversion can be
    performed. The retrofit would take approximately 7-10 days at a cost of $40,000 to $45,000 to complete.
    Given the age and operating hours of the existing chillers, it might be more cost effective to budget replacement rather
    than performing the direct digital controls retrofit.
    I would be pleased to provide a cost effective comparison regarding energy and operating cost savings associated with
    replacing the existing centrifugal chillers.

Have any of you run into problems procuring parts for these chillers? The last thing I've had to purchase was an actuator for the IGV.

Thanks

I would follow up with your local Carrier office modules are available and are being refurbished when they are turned in. Most failures are due to the batteries in the modules not being maintained and them a power failure wipes them clean.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

In the carrier SB it also states that the turn around time is approx 7-10 business days, Retro the chiller to MCS controls it way cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by sinc4 View Post
    ... Retro the chiller to MCS controls....
    I'll second that motion........

If you can modify the eirings of the power box and the starter panel by yourself. I can provide the Carrier PIC III panel, actuator, sensor wells, ISM module and transducers for you. The total cost should be around USD16,000. It can work for R-22 and 134a.
    Can

Can MCS has worked out well for me. They even provide installation and start-up assistance. (MCSCONTROLS.COM)
    ROBERT1078

Quote Originally Posted by Robert1078 View Post
    Can MCS has worked out well for me. They even provide installation and start-up assistance. (MCSCONTROLS.COM)
    ROBERT1078
    I like Carrier. If you haven't enough power to modify the wiring of the power box and the starter to save the retrofit cost, you should be choice another cheaper control system. Because you have not another chance.
    Can

32 panel can be installed in 3 days and is a direct retrofit. I have installed many of these and it is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by spinning wheel View Post
    32 panel can be installed in 3 days and is a direct retrofit. I have installed many of these and it is the way to go.
    Yes, 32XR package is for direct retrofit. If you can modify the control wiring of the power box and the start panel by yourself. You are only need the control panel, ISM and actuator. Will save much money! The parts cost should be around USD16,000 to 16,500.
    Last edited by can; 11-15-2011 at 10:19 PM.
    Can

Where are the folks who accused Trane of extorting their customers a few years ago when they announced that the 25+ year old UCP1 and UCP695 panels were no longer going to be supported with parts?
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by BergerMech Rob View Post
    Where are the folks who accused Trane of extorting their customers a few years ago when they announced that the 25+ year old UCP1 and UCP695 panels were no longer going to be supported with parts?
    I'm with you on that.

Quote Originally Posted by BergerMech Rob View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I was also thinking that Carrier has noticed the work/income that was generated....

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I was also thinking that Carrier has noticed the work/income that was generated....
    The works not there if you can buy a panel for half of Carrier. In my opinion it's better to support the controls to get the complete unit work.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast