Thread: Inside or out?

Let's say you've got a reach-in cooler in a commercial kitchen that needs a compressor replaced. Do you do the repair where the cooler is, or do you take it outside if at all possible? Considering the time to do it right (recovery, clean out lines if it's a burn-out, filter drier, deep vacuum, recharging, etc.), and the fact that I don't want to be in the way for a couple hours while people are trying to cook just feet from me, I usually take it outside.

It has come back to bite me once, as the owner, no matter how hard I tried to convince him otherwise, claimed that I just did it so that I could listen to music from my van. He thought it took to long to change the evap in a 134a True cooler, but he didn't want to hear about the major evacuation because of the unit running in a vacuum and pulling in moisture (I fought for a while to get that thing to 500 microns). He told the boss that he didn't want me back in his establishment. Eeh...didn't bother me none. The boss understood.

Anyway, which do you prefer?

I always pull it outside or to the back out of the way whenever possible

I do em in place just start as early as possible. At least 7 AM. Try to pick a slow day too.
    eventu rerum stolidi didicere magistro

I prefer to take the unit out of the kitchen area, but the only one I've ever done it with is a Manitowoc R/I.

Maybe the owner didn't like your music
    "The problem is the average person isnt tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and its not in the movies they watch, and its not in the few books that they buy, they dont get it" - Jack Canfield

I have done repairs both ways. I prefer outside if its possible Its easier and faster take it outside by the truck and save the time from hauling all your stuff into the building. I tell the manager, the faster I can get the job done the lower the bill will be. Some understand, others don't care. I have had some tell me to come back after the kitchen is closed and they are willing to pay OT.

...depends on how much liability insurance a guy carries I think- cook trips on hoses or somesuch and is injured-
    I would move it if it is easily enough done just for safety if it is in a bad spot, or offer to do it at slower time after hours/OT if you really want to see them turn red...
    Look, just do your job, stay outta my way and we'll get along fine.

Teach your kids to respect themselves and others with your actions- these little baboons will imitate you like it or not.

Depends.....If appliance is on casters and will fit out the back door, I prefer outdoors. I like to make a mess.

The mess includes degreasing & rinsing the condensing unit, evaporator assembly, interior & exterior cabinet, and of course the actual repair.

When service vehicle is nearby this can save me a lot of walking and lugging of equipment thru kichen. Plus, I can burn one out back while I'm working. Most restaurants don't appreciate ya burnin one on the cook line, or takin a union break while your charging them billable hours.

Remember Rule # 1......Customer is always riiight.

Originally posted by mardoman

Says who?
    Sounds to me like that customer is your typical cheap ass restaurant owner, I seen plenty of them..... Music from your van??? Give me a break.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Originally posted by Diceman
    Originally posted by mardoman

Says who?
    Sounds to me like that customer is your typical cheap ass restaurant owner, I seen plenty of them..... Music from your van??? Give me a break.
    Yeah, I know. And he didn't like the fact that I smoked outside, in the BACK of the building. The funny part is that this was a bid job, so no matter how long it took, the price wasn't going up.

first take a look and then take your decison. so ease"