Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The reason why most can not dispell your misconceptions, is because as much they don't know your side either.

You see what I am saying.

And thats why, some of the few intlelligent remarks in these kinds of threads go so unnoticed and one who makes a solid point which might lead to a good inquisitive and informative session leads to all the others who have no clue just beating each other down.

Same mentality of younger techs.

They know everything right?

If that young technician is not somehow reined in and truly brought under control so that he can actually give himself an opportunity to learn, he goes through his career as a second rate tech, but one that thinks he is great. You know the kind of tech I am talking about.

It's the same kind of thing with this for or against the union issue. If everyone wanted to relly know the ins and outs of each side, you all might accomplish a good thing together.

well, i was in a union

but i got tired of working 100 hr weeks all summer

and then getting laid off as soon as school started...

the only people working then ...

had "connections"

Well, not that it really matters, Dow. I don't know of any resi shop that's union here in Jax or in Vegas. All the shops seem to be pretty fair with their employees mostly because the owners of those shops were once employees themselves.

But I guess no one's gonna dispel my ill-conceived beliefs today - at least, not on this forum.
    WHY?

Originally posted by hvac_czar
    Any union believers want to try and justify the union hiring homeless people at $10. an hour with no bennies to do their dirtywork?
    There's plenty of companies that do it so what's the problem?

Originally posted by special ed
    Well, not that it really matters, Dow. I don't know of any resi shop that's union here in Jax or in Vegas. All the shops seem to be pretty fair with their employees mostly because the owners of those shops were once employees themselves.

But I guess no one's gonna dispel my ill-conceived beliefs today - at least, not on this forum.
    Part of the issue is not about a non union shop is being fair to their employees. A contractor has to choose if he wants to participate. Very few contractors have ever been forced in with a vote. It's just a pile of crap when there forced to. And most will get themselves out of it someway.

Most contractors look at it as a business decision.

I will tell you why. I can offer to my future employee a nice retirement, a good paycheck and decent health benefit and all the other good stuff, cheaper by me paying that flat rate per hour to your union hall, as opposed if I went out and got all that independantly. By about 50%. If I want to offer my technicians the best I can, and really give them a solid deal, I can do it cheaper through the hall. That is no lie. That is truth. It's a question of, "do I really need to or want to offer that sort of a compensation package to my techs?" It's really up to me. Since I am the one signing the paycheck.

I think a technician who can focus on his work and not worry about the baby's prescriptions, or their aching back is a more productive technician. I want them to take care of their back so there healthy so they can work. They are more apt to go get taken care of since their burden is nill. Health insurance is a friggin killer. Since the hall buys it for 3000 members, they can get it cheaper than me with a group of 3.

No ****. So. It's my wish to have my employees taken care of. I don't have to do anything in house. They at the hall take care of that for you the member. They handle your retirement, your health. It's as if I am outsourcing all that. And for me. I have a fixed rate. It's a solid business decision for me.

Okay thats one angle. You willing to listen to another?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12