Gaffers and Sattler furnace

Hi,
    I have a Gaffers and Sattler model: 80 DH forced air furnace. It is under my bedroom in a crawl space. This house was my Grandparents. My Grandfather said he has never really done much to it and claims it doesnt even have a filter. Is this true, no filter?
    I have lived here for over 10 yrs. and havent touched the thing other than to light it about five yrs ago.
    It still cranks out some serious heat and seems to run fine other than the initial FWHOOOM on start up.
    Just wondering what kind of maintenance I can do to keep it goin strong, and if the thing is even safe.
    Thanks for your help,
    Mase

It is under my bedroom in a crawl space
    LOL

Well I guess you will be the first to know if a real problem develops!

Seriously have it checked by a professional.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

This thread belongs in the Ask Our Pro's forum.

I've asked a moderator to move it there so that you can get better advice.

I agree with Jimj.

That noise you are talking about on light off is a mini-explosion. You do NOT want that problem getting any worse.

I would start saving for a new unit.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Thanks for the advice. I actually had a guy look at it a few years ago and all he said was "if its running leave it alone" which wasn't very reassuring. Pretty much tells me he had never seen anything like it and didn't want to mess with it. But I will definitely find someone that knows the thing, to come take a look and determine if its worth it to keep it going or just start over.
    unfortunately I think the room was built around it so prob no way to remove the crazy thing. lol

anyway you can takes some pictures of it or a video? ive never even heard of that unit. i would sure like to see it. hope everything is running safe and it gets checked out soon. do u have any CO detectors?

The mini explosion or FWOOOM as I call it, has been there for as long as I can remember. I read somewhere that certain Gaffer Satter models were notorious for that. So I never really worried about it, but obviously something needs to be done. Like I said I dont even know if it has a filter to change.
    I would be happy to do some maintenance on it, but just not really sure where to start.

Yes, I keep a CO detector in my bedroom (which is right above the furnace.) fortunately it doesn't seem to be leaking. I will try to take some pics of it and post them on here.

In the mean time I guess will need to install some kevlar on the bottom of bed for the time it finally decides to erupt.

haha...good humor. just cross your fingers and keep some CO detectors handy. i would also be looking for a good serviceman to inspect it properly and give it a clean bill of health