+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: R22 as a trace with Nitrogen in R410 system.

Post Likes
    Aye...all this technical talk makes me long for the old daze when our refridgerant recovery tool kit consisted of a good set of dikes to cut the high side and let 'er blow...
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    There is no R410A in the system when you put the R22 in, so you are not mixing refrigerants. After you find the leak, the leak is repaired with nitrogen flowing, the system is then pressure tested with nitrogen, and vacuumed, so no R22 remains in the system.
    Exactly.

Post Likes
    The only time you should pull out your r-22 tank is when charging an r-22 system. I'm just sayin'

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by actechmurray View Post
    The only time you should pull out your r-22 tank is when charging an r-22 system. I'm just sayin'
    Yet you haven't been able to refute anything I've said technically, only to say that your opinion is that putting R-22 in a R410a system as a trace gas is wrong.

Post Likes
    Please post a manufacturers stance or recommendation that says what your saying.

Post Likes

recovery tool

Quote Originally Posted by shaygetz View Post
    Aye...all this technical talk makes me long for the old daze when our refridgerant recovery tool kit consisted of a good set of dikes to cut the high side and let 'er blow...
    lol, thats what we still use! shhhhhh!!!

Post Likes
    perhaps you're struggling with the moral dilema of releasing 4 ounces of r-22 into the atmosphere that you could have avoided?
    i was born under a wandrin star.

Northern area between Alantic and Pacific
    Post Likes
    I never used trace gas for AC, only nitrogen I use for leak test.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Please post a manufacturers stance or recommendation that says what your saying.
    Ok I'll look

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolWine View Post
    I'm under the impression that only R-22 can be released with nitrogen when used for leak testing under 608.

I see no reason that you can't use R-22 for leak testing in a R-410a unit, you will be pulling a vacuum.

Then again a standing pressure test with nitro and pulling a 500 micron vac that holds should suffice. I only use a tracer gas if I can't easily find my leak.

I agree also. We just but in a system that took 62 lbs of 410A. There was a lot of piping so we really wanted to make sure we had no leaks. It took 2 days with 2-5cfm vac. pumps to achieve a 500 micron vacuum.

Post Likes
    So u introduce r-22 Into a 410a system to find leaks?
    Some manufacturers are even recommending using R-22 to flush the line sets instead of RX11 on their 410a systems.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.
    When you appreciate what you have, you have a lot more.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    Some manufacturers are even recommending using R-22 to flush the line sets instead of RX11 on their 410a systems.
    Wouldn't that be illegal?

I'm not sure that I follow the procedure to be used.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

Not if you recover it.

Post Likes
    Who would these manufacturers be?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm
    The R22 used to flush the line set still needs to be recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Who would these manufacturers be?

I've seen at least two documents referring to flushing with R-22, one from Rheem & one I think was from Trane. Here is the one from Rheem:
    Gary
    -----------

Post Likes
    I have put r22 in a 410a a system to find a leak because my h10 will not detect 410a and I could not find the leak with a pos 410a leak detector I had already recovered all the refer out and was going to do a isolation and decided what the heck and I will do it again if needed .as has been said there is no oil in a refrigerant jug

Post Likes
    I've just read that Rheem document and man, it takes a lot of R-22 to flush the lines as per the procedure described there.

If replacing both unit and just flushing lines its easyer to use Rx11 or ProFlush, if you leaving piston or txv in place than I'd say to use freon.

Is there any reason not to use R-410A instead of R-22? Just use R-410a and recover it the same way, I don't see any harm. The refrigerant is only being used as a flushing agent anyway.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by PremiumServices View Post
    I've just read that Rheem document and man, it takes a lot of R-22 to flush the lines as per the procedure described there.

If replacing both unit and just flushing lines its easyer to use Rx11 or ProFlush, if you leaving piston or txv in place than I'd say to use freon.

Is there any reason not to use R-410A instead of R-22? Just use R-410a and recover it the same way, I don't see any harm. The refrigerant is only being used as a flushing agent anyway.

The first few 410A change overs I used the RX11 flush but I forgot to pick up any flush one time so I just used plain nitro as a flush. Ever since that's all I've used without a problem. I would guess that the majority of manufacturers today do not recommend using RX11. I've never used the R22 method but I do think the industry is steering away from putting chemicals besides refrigerant & oil into the system.
    Gary
    -----------

Post Likes
    The first few 410A change overs I used the RX11 flush but I forgot to pick up any flush one time so I just used plain nitro as a flush. Ever since that's all I've used without a problem. I would guess that the majority of manufacturers today do not recommend using RX11. I've never used the R22 method but I do think the industry is steering away from putting chemicals besides refrigerant & oil into the system.
    my opinion is blow the lines with nitrogen only unless it is a burned out compressor ,if it's a burn out flush them .I do agree it's best to replace them if possible

Post Likes
    I had a factory tech tell me that I needed to use Rx11 or Proflush to clean the lineset in a condo. I explained it was a full replacement, no burn-out and I had flushed the system with nitro because I was afraid some flush would stay under the building (buried lines) and he said if you flush with chemical then with nitro and triple vac the whole residue boils off.

Still I only use flushing if there was a burned-out compressor and I always test for acidity before recovering refrigerant to see if the system is free from acid.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in