Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My background is mechanical, from childhood. I built every car I drove as a teen. My dad thought you should understand it if you operated it. He was a wise man. He was a farmer and old windmill mechanic.
    If it was broke, he could fix it.

My background in HVAC started at Friedrich back in the 1920s when my uncle worked at the factory in San Antonio, TX. Several of his children later became involved in the business also, either in production or servicing the new industry. Seems I was destined for this field.

I began work in the HVAC industry full time 1970. I have done primarily commercial service and install all of my career.

My first water cooled machine was a Trane Redi-Power system. This little jewel featured an Internatial Harvester, natural gas fired six-banger. Never new if you were going to tune up the engine or troubleshoot a refrigeration problem.

First chiller was an old redwood ice-storage tank at a church. Serpantine 1 iron pipe evaporator submerged in an open loop water tank, air cooled condenser. Three tank flanges on the bottom of the resovoir, with zone pumps, served by a belt drive Schnake Compressor on R-12.

Those were the good ole days. I miss them.

I certainly do not want to sound like I think I am ALL That, as I am not. I have learned a lot here in the past few months reading here, and know I will continue to learn. There is a lot of knowledge gathered here on a daily basis, and I plan on using that to my advantage. I may not post much, but believe me, I read a lot.

Thanks to you ALL.

Regards........

I figured you for new to the field,

air conditioning in the 1920's ?

rich Texans.

Friedrich founded 1883

Welcome Aboard

So you're like a 100 ??

Welcome home dude.

Originally posted by mattm
    So you're like a 100 ??

Welcome home dude.
    more like 1000 yrs old

Tried to sneek in the back door eh?

Okay ..you must be Eddie! Or you have golden long hair and your a fag! Or perhaps you're a stinking communist!

My first water cooled machine was a Trane Redi-Power system. This little jewel featured an Internatial Harvester, natural gas fired six-banger. Never new if you were going to tune up the engine or troubleshoot a refrigeration problem.
    In my neighborhood when I was a kid, there was a rig like this in a nearby apartment complex. A natural gas fired six banger driving a semi-hermetic compressor. Maybe a Redi-Power? All I knew is I could sometimes hear it running from my house two blocks away. That and when maintenance was neglected on the pillow block bearings on the cooling tower fan...squeakkk. Drove the whole neighborhood crazy until the cheap owners finally got the bearings replaced.

I can only imagine what today's kids coming into the trade must think when a middle aged fart like me talks about being able to go to Johnnies discount auto supply and pick up a few cans of R12 for the car and maybe a can or two of 22 for the house if it was a tad low. Or when one could pull the schrader stems on a unit and let the charge dump to the sky when going to change a compressor. When stocking the truck for heating season meant carrying a small variety of milivolt and 24 volt gas valves, various thermocouples, some fan limits, a T87F and Q539, and a few other necessities.

Residential redwood natural draft cooling towers cooling a small plant using R12. Having a house with central air being a status symbol, along with color TV, a console stereo with turntable AND eight track built in, and an extension phone. If you were really living high you had a push button phone where the buttons lit up when you picked up the receiver. Cars were luxurious if they had power windows, power steering, a/c, AM/FM cassette, cloth seats, and cruise control (my '98 F150 has all that and it's only considered a mid-level trim package, now).

The times do change.

BTW, welcome aboard, albiet belatedly.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Great to meet you...

We've been expecting you...

Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Welcome aboard. Damn, that's some interesting stuff. I always enjoy finding the old equipment either still running by some miracle, or at least still on site next to the new stuff.
    R2B4BTU

To Clarify

My Uncle was involved in the business in the 20s, not me.
    Im old, but not that old.
    Guess the Friedrich thing is a little mis-leading.
    Just meant I grew up hearing about things in the industry.

Titleless,
    Compared to some, I am new to the field, and still learning
    every day.

Jacob,
    Its nice to be from Texas. Our first A/C was a bullet
    evap unit hangin out the passenger side window of a 1950
    humpback Nash. My parents never had central A/C though,
    like you said, just the rich ones.

Mattm and outsiderep,
    No, Im like 58

Hey James,
    Yeah, I thought I might escape your wrath for awhile.
    Call me what you want, but please,
    dont call me Eddie

Yeah shophound,
    I remember all that. My first company did work on a few
    large resi units. The rich folks.
    Saw a lot of those old natural draft towers, redwood and
    galvanized. Lots of R12 stuff, and dont forget the
    Carene7. ( R500 ). How many remember those old 1750
    watermellon compressors? Now that was a good piece of
    equipment. Oh yea, cassette players too. My first tape deck
    was a four track, pretty wild huh?

Gruntly, not yet please. I have a few things left to do.

Regards.......

Well you have good humor at least. "For an old man" Welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast