Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Business for me is okay. Were moving forward. Slow crawl and thats fine by me considering where I operate. Metro Detroit. But it is tougher. Noticeably. If it were not for some national accounts relationships, I'd be in the pooper. And also to say thank god I held onto these relationships.

Locally. Regional, State. Michigan is in real tough shape. It's bad. In the paper this Morning it states, unemployment across the country stands at 4.8%, dropping steadily and by spring they predict it might dip to record lows, as the economists see a resurgant economy despite the woes.

It's strong, gaining momentum and companie are starting hire. At the same time due to this, wages are going up again. Despite the worry of inflation, the country on the whole is looking good going into spring and summer.

But. Michigan. The front lines of manufacturing losses to the foreign competition. We stand a 7.4% unemployment. And earmarked to go higher due to announced plans from all sectors of manufacturing. Massive cuts.

Thats the only thing I have heard for 4 years now. I don't think there is a soul in the state that doesn't know some one who has lost their job, good job and in effect changing their lifestyle. Not slightly altering it, drastically changing it.

And here is the good news. And I gave this advice to my son and daughter. A freind was over last night. Crying in his beer. He lost his 80 grand a year job. No IT pros needed in this country any mkre. He's lucky he's been able to eek it out this long. A very close friend, god father to my son. So their kids and his wife were over. It's looks real dark for them. After they left, my son and daughter says, "dad, how come we have never had that problem". I looked at Mom and looked at them and said, cause I learned a trade. And a trade, someone always needs someone in trade. Carpenter, electrician, mason, HVAC or Refrigeration, Plumber. I told them if it was real bad here, we could move easily and be okay. I told them smetimes I don't always make as much as I want to, but there is always opportunity to work and earn money.

My father was the exact smae way always always saying this. "you may never be a millionaire but you'll always put food on your table for your family" I never forgot it and I am so glad to have had a real good example to show my kids. I really thought, that it was one of those defining advice to my kids moments. And I wanted to share it.

Dow,

I agree 100% with you.
    What I learned in the Army, and the opportunities that I have taken advantage of since, well, if I ever woke up to no work, or something happened, it would be a matter of just seeing who gave me the best of what I could get for another job, worldwide.
    Not to hi jack your thread, but I see you were in Ft Bragg, I was in 82nd Signal, as a 52D/C from '81 thru "88.
    As for business, I turn down business everyday, so I say this business has never been better, for me, and for me in my area of coverage.
    My mentors and father have instilled upon me the following, Always treat people with the respect that you would want, and you will never go wrong, and it has worked so far.

You're right on this Dow. I've been whinin about being out of work for the last three months and in this past week received 3 offers...This trade has always come through for me.

You have a skill that no one can ever take away. Looks like a geography problem. You can cry in your beer with the friend or go rent a U-Haul truck cause Detroit ain't coming back and will get worse. When you work for yourself and the family depends on you, you are always one accident away from a disaster.

Georgia is booming and you have been here. Other regions of the country are also growing and most places along the coast are. If you don't want to do it for yourself, do it for your kids. Big mistake going down with the ship AND knowing it. Someone in your family moved their because the Indians were there first. May be time to think about the future beyond work also. If not for you then the kids.

[Edited by James 3528 on 02-04-2006 at 09:02 AM]

I know it was a long post. But. Man. I almost was in tears. Of proudness. Of father son/daughter coolness moments. I love my dad, and he's an icon to me. My old man has everything to do with my being okay in life now. My dad is a tough crusty old salt of a refrigeration man, but just enough love from him to make you be your best. My dad is one of those guys who repeats himself alot. It can be annoying but it's also kinda funny.

He sort of ticks to a different clock. But over and over and over as a kid. All of us kids. All of my brothers. Were all in the trades now. He always always said, "you may never be a millionaire but you'll always feed your family". He said it constantly when we were kids.

And here I was, son and daughter seeing the effects of a family close to us, having tough times, because of their career, and what a great impact I am sure down the road it will have, just like it did for me and my brothers when we were kids, to have the example and to say to them, that a trade and a skill is so important.

I tell younger people that I know all the time to look into a trade school rather than a 4 year college. I have been at it since I was 15 ,almost 15 years now , and would not change a thing if I had the chance to do so. This trade has been great to me who was a juvi delenquient growing up. I can honestly say ,if not for the HVAC biz I have no clue where I would be today. My son who is 11 saw my W2's sitting out the other day and said to me " WOW dad you make alot of $$ , and you never even went to college ." lol I explained to him that I have worked real hard to get where I am at and to provide a life that I never had for our family and that I have also been pretty lucky in my job decisions. There are not many other jobs out there where you get filthy dirty and looko like a grease monkey most of the time but make close to $100K a year ! Who needs a suite and tie anyway !! lol

Originally posted by James 3528
    You have a skill that no one can ever take away. Looks like a geography problem. You can cry in your beer with the friend or go rent a U-Haul truck cause Detroit ain't coming back and will get worse. When you work for yourself and the family depends on you, you are always one accident away from a disaster.

Georgia is booming and you have been here. Other regions of the country are also growing and most places along the coast are. If you don't want to do it for yourself, do it for your kids. Big mistake going down with the ship AND knowing it. Someone in your family moved their because the Indians were there first. May be time to think about the future beyond work also. If not for you then the kids.

[Edited by James 3528 on 02-04-2006 at 09:02 AM]
    Well,

Kinda funny. James. I just mentioned you to her about what you just said. She was sort of like, if we end up having to start making a strategy, Savannah is on the short list of places. She was like, "lets go". We were just saying how awesome it was for us down there. We were basically both fresh off the farm when we were down there. We started our life there. It has such good memories for us. And we always talk about there. We have good freinds still in the area.

Were okay in all this so far. And I have been lucky to put a couple bucks away and have a credit card with a nice size limit, for a just in case situation. If we needed to make a move I could easily. Business wise, because of how I got this now operationally, I could easily begin operating elsewhere with no problem with the exception of getting a license for that state ect. You never know. One thing, we were jus saying, talking more about our dinner with our friends last night. We have plan A, B, C. Alot of couples don't.

D4, Im really sorry to hear about your friend losing his job. You could teach him the refrigeration business.
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."

You can call this number (478) 207-2440 and get license info for Georgia.

It is not like getting a drivers license. If you do this process and run into road blocks I can help you. Much of the process doesn't make sense but I would think that is the case in other states.

for years now we have heard nothing but how strong the economy is , and I often wonder how the economy can be so strong , looking at the financial picture we all face.

the products that we buy especially the products that we need to conduct our daily lives has gone up in price to barely affordable prices. The cost of buying homes has finally got to the point that people are not buying them as fast as they were , interest rates are going up again and unemployment everywhere is going up
    companies dont offer the pay they use to , they dont offer retirement plans like they used to and medical insurance has got to the point that people can no longer afford to even get medical care without being on welfare

I am sure happy when I hear how well the economy is because when I hear about companies like Ford that can post billion dollar profits one year and turn that into billion dollar losses within a couple of years , make me wonder

everyone seems shocked to hear of oil companies making Billion dollar profits in only a quater of the year, why?
    the president and his family, the vice president, are all involved in the oil busniess, they have no idea what it feels like to pay the price for oil like we do , they dont buy gasoline , they arent affected by the increased costs of everything like we are , they dont buy groceries, and unless they are affected buy the same costs we are nothing will change

so if you havnt been affected by unemployment during your lifetime , you do have something to be thankfull for. There are more and more people approching 50 years old that are out of work and have struggled to remain employeed or even find work and things are only getting worse

and lets not forget the people out there that did save for their retirement all of their lives only to have their employer go bankrupt, and take their savings with them. we should be asking them how strong the economy really is

Just because the price of the goods and services that we need have gone up in cost so high and people are still able to pay for those record profits doesnt necessarily point to a strong economy

Now China, India, Tiwian they are doing pretty well off of the US

I don't know your situation. But I see many younger 30's couples in our age bracket. We see it in our childrens freinds parents, I see it in many other places from the local tavern I pop into to the people I deal with for my business. I'd say moe than 75% of these people that are down, facing tough times at age 50 04 40 or 40, belong to the category of people who have made lousy finanical decisions that impact there lives for a long time. And then when they sit there and *****, I just don't feel remorse. And there lazy people too. Very ****ty attitudes about life. Sedentary lifestyles, not active which also impacts there ability to be active and hampers there health, and becoming fat, which further their earning potential. They are lazy.

I am a self employed businessman in the HVAC trade. Of course, everyone of my peers thinks, well I must have it made. I do have nice home. I had to make it that way. It was a real POS when I bought it. I do live in a decent area. We are finanically sound irregardless of my business. Why. cause I have not sat in a bar spending $30 bucks a day for the last ten years. Cause I live in a home I could afford and fixed it up on my own. Cause I do not use crdit cards for stupid ****. I began investing small amounts at a young age. I save something every month. I am active, try hard to stay in reasonable shape. I ask questions to people that know money.

We don't go buy clothes, or luxury items when we can not pay cash or use credit knowing we can pay for it.

Much of a person's situation has to do with poor choices. And then when I have no empathy for them, I somehow am looked at as a pompous arrogant guy who had advantages. Not so.

Man you need to move from that area around here you can be a basic idiot and make booko bucks just look at Refer he makes alot of money and he lives in the same area I do LOL

Central Pa is growing every single day and doesnt look likes it going back at all

SO what do you think is on the horizon ?

Are the city leaders working on replacing the losses or will they just suck it up, and let the area discentigrate?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast