Thread: Lineset left open

Post Likes
    We are in the middle of a major renovation of a renthouse thats 100 miles from me. I got by the jobsite today and noticed the hvac guy has ran the lineset (rough in). It snakes up out of a closet, into the attic then back down a wall then heads outside. Seemed odd to me but he's left the lineset open at both ends. Total length is 47 feet. So is it normal to leave the lines open until they are connected? or does it not make any difference since they have to pull a vac and charge the lines anyway?

Post Likes
    He shoulda at least put some tape at the ends, or crimped them shut, not good practice to leave the lineset open like that, maybe ask him to blow the lineset out with nitrogen before he hooks em up.

Post Likes
    i always make sure the lines are sealed off at both ends
    this makes sure nothing gets in the lines and they stay clean

Post Likes
    I never leave lines open at all , i will cap them with a sweat on cap if i am leaving the job for a while, or if i am comming back the next day i at least close up the ends with tape, usually i put pressure stabs in the ends and charge with a little nitro to make sure nobody puts a screw or nail through them while i am gone. He should have covered with them with something though .

Post Likes
    i usually seal the open linesets just in case. i once had someone drop dirt into them on a job,yes pulling a vacume on the lines will remove the dirt and moisture and ready them for charging.

Post Likes
    thanks for the quick reply! Sorry i should have mentioned the ends do have tape over them, realized I didnt say that after i hit submit. So you saying the way hes done this is ok then? Hes also got some 90's on the line where it changes direction but they are just fitted on and not brazed. We are a good month away from having the company install the air/heat

Post Likes
    Originally posted by tinknocker service tech
    i always make sure the lines are sealed off at both ends
    this makes sure nothing gets in the lines and they stay clean
    I totally agree. A little bit of tape can save alot of headache later.

Post Likes

Frown

The lineset should have both liquid and vapor lines individually brazed shut and pressurized w/nitrogen to check for leaks. If indoor unit is in place at rough in, it should already be brazed in there, so you would only need to braze it shut outdoors and pressurize the entire refrigerant loop.
    It is best to use the line access ports on the outside connections so they can be checked easily with a gauge manifold at any time after installation.
    I write the pressures down at each line so that I can verify there have been no "breaches" in the integrity of the lineset.

Linesets should never be left open, regardless of where they are located!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jeffshvac
    i usually seal the open linesets just in case. i once had someone drop dirt into them on a job,yes pulling a vacume on the lines will remove the dirt and moisture and ready them for charging.
    Remove the dirt? I highly doubt that, the dirt will stay in there.

Post Likes
    sorry thats a typo not the dirt.

Post Likes
    If they left them open in place,that's bad enough in and of itself.But if they ran them while open then that is realy bad.Just think of all the dirt,cobb webs and saw dust they were dragged through.I would give them a good blow out with nitrogen while still disconnected.
    Some people swear by me and some at me

Post Likes
    Originally posted by curiousgirl
    thanks for the quick reply! Sorry i should have mentioned the ends do have tape over them, realized I didnt say that after i hit submit. So you saying the way hes done this is ok then? Hes also got some 90's on the line where it changes direction but they are just fitted on and not brazed. We are a good month away from having the company install the air/heat
    You better hope he doesnt forget to braze those 90s...If he hasnt already forgotten them.

Post Likes
    Ask your installing company to install a liquid line filter drier as a precaution, a small investment for the life of your system...

Post Likes
    The lines should be brazed shut, and pressurized.

With those els not being brazed, and a month till setting the units, alot of moisture will get in, and take along time to vacuum out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in