electrical heating system worrying me

The house is approx. 1350 sf. not including the lower level (approx 650 sf) Raised ranch style. They are currently using a pellet stove insert in the fireplace. Not quite sure about insulation, as I will look into further when we go for another showing soon. The house is surrounded by a farm in the back and houses on each side, so it is pretty open. If I were to go with gas furnance for backup, what type of gas? (LP,natural, propane?) Is it costly to convert and add air? I'm going to check with our local electrial supplier for rates and programs which I think they offer different rates if heating 50% of home with electric. In your opionion, would you pass on the house because of the heating system? It kind of scares me but we really like the house. Heating our current home with oil now, so I know how expensive that is right now too!

Converse

Talk with the seller, you maybe able to work something out regarding splitting a new system.

If I were to go with gas furnance for backup, what type of gas? (LP,natural, propane?)

that depends : where is the nearest nat gas line? and how much per ft to install a connection

How much for an lp gas conection and how much per gallon
    in cali it is a dollar a gallon more than gasoline now
    --------------------------------------------------------

Is it costly to convert and add air?
    before you think about converting to anything , you should have an hvac contractor out to do a load calc on your house to determine both your heating and cooling needs

in most areas , straight electric heat is the most expensive

I'm going to check with our local electrial supplier for rates and programs which I think they offer different rates