I have a new York Affinity high efficiency 80,000 btu 2 stage variable speed dc furnace.
    The model is PV9B12N080UP11. When the inducer motor comes on, I hear a buzzing sound and hum which lasts for 30 seconds and then the sound goes away. The furnace is below the kitchen.
    I'm not sure if that sound is normal for this new furnace. The blower dc variable speed motor is very quiet. My complain is about the inducer motor. I can hear the sound from the kitchen and also near the furnace room.

Originally posted by jakeconnor
    I have a new York Affinity high efficiency 80,000 btu 2 stage variable speed dc furnace.
    The model is PV9B12N080UP11. When the inducer motor comes on, I hear a buzzing sound and hum which lasts for 30 seconds and then the sound goes away. The furnace is below the kitchen.
    I'm not sure if that sound is normal for this new furnace. The blower dc variable speed motor is very quiet. My complain is about the inducer motor. I can hear the sound from the kitchen and also near the furnace room.
    Sounds like when unit was installed someone drop a screw into the combustion chamber and it is lodged when inducer draft motor trys to start..
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

i would recommend calling your hvac contractor and have the inducer motor checked out,it could be a screw that dropped in or another obstruction.the york inducer motors are usually pretty quiet on the affinity models.

York reply

The technician took off the old inducer(ventor) motor and discovered that the gasket was off center. He put on a new one and now the noise is gone.