Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the work truck
    Posts
    3,010

    Cap Tube Replacement

    Ive been working on a couple reach in medium and low temp boxes.

    How often do you guys find cap tubes restricted to the point they need to be replaced?
    What effect does oil wether mineral or POE have on the tubes restricting? Also if there is a standard drier have you guys seen the tubes plug up past that?

    Thanks
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

    Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

    "Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,049
    Spun copper driers are the worst. I always cut them out and open them up. I have seen the white "BB'S" glued together by sludge. Also check on the outlet side- there is a small screen that may be plugged.

    I also take off an inch of cap tube right after the drier. I use a cap tube measuring set to drive thru the interior to see if any crap is on the walls. If clear, I throw in an 032 or 052S and see what happens.

    POE oil is the worst offender, but I have seen plenty of problems with mineral oil, especially with R22.
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the work truck
    Posts
    3,010
    Quote Originally Posted by baub View Post
    Spun copper driers are the worst. I always cut them out and open them up. I have seen the white "BB'S" glued together by sludge. Also check on the outlet side- there is a small screen that may be plugged.

    I also take off an inch of cap tube right after the drier. I use a cap tube measuring set to drive thru the interior to see if any crap is on the walls. If clear, I throw in an 032 or 052S and see what happens.

    POE oil is the worst offender, but I have seen plenty of problems with mineral oil, especially with R22.
    On the system I had it was not copper spun driers.. Have you seen something make it past an 052 and plug the tubes? I did not want to spend 4 hrs replacing the drier and cutting tubes only to find the restriction was further down the line. I was curious what was considered normal practice in this situation by someone who had more experience with this stuff. Also once the oil is overheated and possibly caused a blockage do you just put in another drier and let it rip or replace the oil too?
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

    Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

    "Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    where the beer flows like wine
    Posts
    2,871
    134a and POE are harsh on cap tubes.full replacement is an option although most of the time the clog is at the beginning and cutting couple of inches off and back blowing nitro would clear the restriction.
    Thermal used to make a cap tube snake.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    wedged in freezer shelf
    Posts
    6,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    On the system I had it was not copper spun driers.. Have you seen something make it past an 052 and plug the tubes? I did not want to spend 4 hrs replacing the drier and cutting tubes only to find the restriction was further down the line. I was curious what was considered normal practice in this situation by someone who had more experience with this stuff. Also once the oil is overheated and possibly caused a blockage do you just put in another drier and let it rip or replace the oil too?
    I just had a bad cap with a regular 052

    They make a 052 with extra filters now.

    I looked recently but didn't see any links to give ya sorry
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    where it's nice and warm
    Posts
    274
    The c-052-cap-tt-hh drier is specifically made for cap tube systems. These driers should be used whenever any cap tube system is opened. Nothing is better than keeping the condenser clean.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    wedged in freezer shelf
    Posts
    6,748
    That's the one
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,049

    Here is the cut sheet...

    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern area between Alantic and Pacific
    Posts
    107
    I would replace the whole cap tube and the drier.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the work truck
    Posts
    3,010
    Quote Originally Posted by markvilleman View Post
    I would replace the whole cap tube and the drier.
    Yea that is what I ended up doing. It's back up and running ok. I was just curious if anyone tries and clear them and if there was any success. I replaced the cap tubes in two different units last week because I didn't want to take any chances.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

    Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

    "Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    fort walton beach fl.
    Posts
    790
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    Yea that is what I ended up doing. It's back up and running ok. I was just curious if anyone tries and clear them and if there was any success. I replaced the cap tubes in two different units last week because I didn't want to take any chances.
    I only replace them. I have used a cap tube cleaner tool but it was junk.
    http://acfwb.com/

    "The best preparation for good work tomorrow is to do good work today"

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    pittsburgh, pa
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    Yea that is what I ended up doing. It's back up and running ok. I was just curious if anyone tries and clear them and if there was any success. I replaced the cap tubes in two different units last week because I didn't want to take any chances.
    I've had some success "backflushing" the cap tube with nitrogen.

    Cut the tube at the drier, silflos the drier outlet shut, and blow about 100lbs of pressure through the low side and out the cap tube.

    Doesn't always work-it's a hit or miss thing. Replacement is the best option.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Australia : Queensland
    Posts
    797
    The manufacturer will tell you that a cap tube system is critically charged , they are to some extent but you can cut off up to 200mm on some and be confident that it will still run to design conditions.
    The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event