+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quadra-fire problem

Post Likes

Frown Quadra-fire problem

My Quadra-fire Classic Bay 1200 Pellet Stove will not keep running. It starts and then very shortly turns itself off. Have done all I can think of and need help, it is getting cold!

Post Likes
    my 1200 is starting fine but then it goes out the pellets quit feeding and the stove goes out. If i continue to hit the reset the pellets feed.

Post Likes

QUADRA FIRE

CHECK TO MAKE SURE THE AUGER IS ALWAYS TURNING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. YOU MAY HAVE TO STAND THERE AND WATCH IT RUN FOR QUITE A WHILE. IF IT REVERSES, THEN THE CAPACITOR ON THE FEED MOTOR IS BAD. QUADRA FIRE WANTS YOU TO REPLACE THE AUGER MOTOR TO THE TUNE OF $350. I GOT LUCKY, AND THE CAPACITOR WAS EXTERNALLY MOUNTED. REPLACED IT, AND THE STOVE RUNS FINE AGAIN. COST ME LESS THAN TWO DOLLARS, TOOK LESS THAN 5 MINUTES. BUT I SPENT WEEKS TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT! HOPE THIS HELPS, IT WORKED FOR ME.

Post Likes

Mount vernon AE pellet stove won't light

Everything cycles normally - pellets feed, auger works, blower comes on ignition cycle runs but no fire. Could my ignition be bad?

Post Likes
    Do you have the part number for the capacitor and how you order it from?

Post Likes
    Just understand if you go replacing components of a part you void the warranty and listing of the stove and it could cause a fire, shock hazard or damage the rest of the stove. If you've done all YOU can think of then perhaps it's time to bring in someone who knows more than you about these stoves. Shop around for a qualified technician who carries parts for this model stove.

The number one problem with pellet stoves is cleaning them. I hear it all the time, "Oh, I didn't realize I had to clean all those internal passageways, blower and venting system". Two, follow the mfrs. instructions on set up. Quad shows you the proper placement of the thermocouple and sheath over the firepot. Remove all the pellets from the hopper and inspect. Run the unit to observe the auger rotating--it pulls pellets upwards. If pellets won't drop, very often I find a foreign object in the auger-piece of plastic bag from the pellet bag, plastic army man, Barbie doll head, glasses, candle, candy bar, hairbrush, stick, etc. are actual finds. You should replace parts only once all these things have been ruled out and only if testing reveals a bad part. A qualified Quad service tech will have a reversing wiring harness so he can run that auger backwards to remove an obstruction. If that fails, he can pull the auger (not easy) and clear it.

I've had three bad capacitors in 15 years and all those were due to lightning strikes and high voltage spikes that damaged other electronics in the home. Fuses protect against high amperage but not high voltage per se.

Post Likes
    Thank you for your safety concerns. My pellet stove is 9 years old and warranty is issue. Let not get into a legal blablabla chat. I have thoroughly cleaned the stove follows the directions. I have also removed the feeder cover and see the motor running forwards and backwards. Also I have called 3 different dealer and they say the reversing wiring harness is no longer being made. Also I live in Colorado which has the second most lightning strikes.

Please what is the spec on the capacitor.

Post Likes
    It will say on the cap most of the time or on the motor it is used on. If not, what about the parts list on your unit.

Post Likes
    Yes it does, but I wanted to see if they changed the Capacitor values to better protect from damage.
    I just received this photo from a Pellet stove dealer. This Capacitor is attached to a new replacement feeder motor. Not from the replacement wiring harness. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7K...ew?usp=sharing
    I have located a wiring harness from a pellet stove parts dealer. I will be purchasing this Capacitor 0.68 uf K x2 in bulk soon as I locate a seller.

I will update this post soon.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in