Can anyone recommend a heatalator type of gas-log setup ?

This customer presently has gas logs in their fireplace. No valves, no pilot, no safeties, nothing - just turn on the manual valve in the floor and strike a match. <g>
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

it's the way it was done in the old days. it worked then, so it should work now.
    Political Correctness, the language of wussies.

It does work now but the customer asked if there was something better which could be installed.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    it's the way it was done in the old days. it worked then, so it should work now.
    PHM
    --------

They use to sell a grate that was made of steel tubes with a manifold at the bottom connecting the tubes which had a fan as well. Air went into the bottom of the tubes and warm air came out the top of the tubes. Logs in the center.

I'd recommend a listed gas direct vent insert only. They are heater rated with AFUE's in the upper 60's to 70's, have an integral v/s blower, can be run off a thermostatic control, are 'direct vent' for safety, and listed.

Those Grate Heaters sold by Heat&Glo among others were junk. Lab testing proved they were not only useless but often entrained combustion byproducts back into the room.

Thanks. Have a name for me?

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    I'd recommend a listed gas direct vent insert only. They are heater rated with AFUE's in the upper 60's to 70's, have an integral v/s blower, can be run off a thermostatic control, are 'direct vent' for safety, and listed.

Those Grate Heaters sold by Heat&Glo among others were junk. Lab testing proved they were not only useless but often entrained combustion byproducts back into the room.
    PHM
    --------

Actually, most brands of gas direct vent inserts are pretty similar, but each with its own little challenges and idiosyncrasies just like furnaces. I have run into problems with the new Peterson line of DV inserts only with LP--they won't stay lit and ghost out internally. Lennox makes units that are built like a tank but not service friendly at all. If I could generalize, I'd say that the more boring a unit looks and burns typically the more reliable. Conversely, where the mfr. is striving for the fanciest unit on the market with all the bells and whistles, often those bells don't ring and the whistles don't toot reliably. This industry has taken a massive hit by the federal government trying to regulate them out of existence. Coupled with a dead housing market and you get mfrs. hanging on by a thread with no budgets for quality assurance or reliability procedures. Consequently, the public has become the Q/A department. Most technical service personnel are less useful than a door stop in my personal experience. The mfrs. fired all the old timers who knew what worked, why it worked and why it did not replacing them with some punk-nosed kids who don't know which end of a fireplace to light.

My advice is to shop around locally to see who is going to support the product locally because there is no support by the mfrs. If your local dealer's reputation is good then buy what he sells. Never buy off the Internet as you will have zero support and in most cases, your warranty is voided automatically so do your homework. They key is finding a reputable local dealer who has a reputation for doing things right and standing behind the product. If you hear of someone requiring a bunch of return service calls that have dragged out over months, run. If you hear of a dealer who replaced a unit no questions asked after two or three attempts to correct the matter over one or two weeks, you've got a keeper. Good luck finding such a dealer because most cannot be found once the product has been sold and the check has cleared the bank. Not a sterling reputation but that's the current state of the industry as I see it. BTW, the ones who stand behind their products and do it right are generally the ones thriving and growing--not the ones with the same ratty old store it has been for 30 years.
    HTH