I'm thinking about buying a home in East Texas and it was built in 1956 it has a slab floor and the HVAC is in the floor. I know the duct is under the slab, but in 1956 did they insulate the pipe. The pipe probably has some rusted holes. My son has ashma should this system be a concern.

Years ago I rented a house that was built in the 1950's with forced air in the slab.

My advice after that disaster is move on and keep looking. There was more dirt and sand and all kinds of crap blowing out of those ducts than you could shake a stick at.

Hmm Choices

Originally posted by HeyBob
    My advice after that disaster is move on and keep looking.
    Right.

"I spend to much time here according to my wife!".

HeyBob,
    Tell her the address of the local strip club
    to minimize any objections.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

my Dad had FA radiant heat -- hse built 1947 in LaPorte IN = snow & cold! still working fine ~50 years later -- ducts of Transite ( encapsulated asbestos= fine unless some dummy tries to clean with metal brushes )

so, investigate the duct material -- may be fine

the important thing with ALL slabs is that they have insulation under the first 2 ft of perimeter -- that will stop most of the heat loss -- having such under the whole slab is better

also, important is having sizeable rock fill under all of this to drain away the ground water! & extended downspouts & earth sloping 5% away from slab -- & pvc just under slab to prevent moisture migration
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

But safty first

Can you provide more information? Are you talking about pipe or ventilation duct? Duct / pipe can be inspected and viewed via a camera with pictures. Ask the home inspector about having it done at sellers cost. You may be able to get that price down ?