I'm just a homeowner with a question for all you professionals. I'm currently looking at a new home to purchase. It is heated using electric heat. I live here in CT where the prices of electric are some of the highest in the country. What are my options to convert to more efficient ways of heating?

A lot of people on here are gonna tell you to go with a heat pump & a gas furnace as a backup. This is a good setup. If it were me, I would just go with the highest efficiency gas furnace that you can find. If you call around & talk to some dealers, you can find some brands that will give you 95% efficiency or maybe even a little higher.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

what kind of devices?
    FA?
    baseboard?
    radiant cables in ceiling?
    strip in AH?

is house insulated well?
    what type of insulation?
    what amount of insulation?
    storms on windows & doors?
    window frame = wood, plastic?
    slab | bsmt | crawl? insulated? [see my earlier post]
    in middle of woods?

ask for heat load calculations -- such will tell where biggest losses are = what you could fix easiest =

harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Exclamation Equipment Selection & Life cycle cost analysis needed

Originally posted by marc1973
    I'm currently looking at a new home to purchase.
    It is heated using electric heat.

I live here in CT where the prices of electric are some of the highest in the country. What are my options to convert to more efficient ways of heating?
    Straight electric:
    operating co$t = ~1/3 of your mortgage.

Post/send house plans for most specific ideas.
    Total energy cost can be determined quite accurately
    given a good housing envelope definition, equipment selection, HVAC replacement budget, and temperature set-points.

What is the $/Kw rate? .. ~$0.14 /kWH
    What is the natural ga$ rate?

Dual fuel systems have existed for many years.

http://www.trane.com/residential/pro...mps/xl16i.aspx
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

It's not really practical to install a heat pump AND gas furnace in New England. If you're looking to just heat the house with no A/C, go with a high eff. gas furnace. Or, you could spend the extra dough.

electrical heating system worrying me

The house is approx. 1350 sf. not including the lower level (approx 650 sf) Raised ranch style. They are currently using a pellet stove insert in the fireplace. Not quite sure about insulation, as I will look into further when we go for another showing soon. The house is surrounded by a farm in the back and houses on each side, so it is pretty open. If I were to go with gas furnance for backup, what type of gas? (LP,natural, propane?) Is it costly to convert and add air? I'm going to check with our local electrial supplier for rates and programs which I think they offer different rates if heating 50% of home with electric. In your opionion, would you pass on the house because of the heating system? It kind of scares me but we really like the house. Heating our current home with oil now, so I know how expensive that is right now too!