ALC WebCTRL access with mobile handheld devices?

I'm trying to find out if ALC WebCTRL can be used with Android and/or iOS mobile devices.

There really doesn't seem to be much information out there, and searching primarily brings up job postings for ALC.

I did find this youtube video which shows an iPhone accessing some text only WebCTRL stuff, but there are no details.
    !

If anyone has experience using mobile devices with WebCTRL, I'd like to hear about it. Thanks!

The short answer is NO, you cannot access WebCtrl. I can hit the server with my Iphone4 and Log in, then some text does come up. But text only, no values, which makes it worthless. I tried it on an IPad with the same results.

At the current time there is no APP for mobile access to WebCTRL. One is in the works for the near future.

There are what they call WAP views. There is a separate viewbuilder for WAP pages that work in mobile browsers. It is pretty much a text only interface. Even if you don't have these views built for your stuff you should be able to go in and see alarms etc.
    Scott Jalbert
    Harris Integrated Solutions

Formerly Liebert (Emerson Network Power)
    Expressed opinions are my own

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info guys!

I didn't have much hope for iOS devices, but I was hoping that maybe Android based devices would work, since it's based on a java-like platform.

Good to know about the WAP pages, and the ability to at least see alarms with the current stuff.

MaxBurn, I assume that the "separate viewbuilder" is something we'd have to contact our local ALC rep about, eh?

(p.s. - I wrote integration software to speak with a lot of Liebert UPSes back in 1999/2000 for the UPS Worldport project in Louisville.)

Well on our products the WAP viewbuilder is deployed with any installation of SiteScan. But I am aware that the licensing on the ALC side is different from ours, it might be an option.

As I understand it the reason it only works in IE on a windows platform is their use of activex. The java plugin only seems to be used to display the actual trend graph. Webctrl 5 got a major overhaul under the scenes and there are rumors that 6 is going to be an even greater leap to do something like html5 for multi browser support. Long way off on that though.
    Scott Jalbert
    Harris Integrated Solutions

Formerly Liebert (Emerson Network Power)
    Expressed opinions are my own

ViewBuilder for WAP for 4.1b or WAPBuilder for 5.2 is the program you need. It should be installed on the server.

ViewBuilder for WAP

Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction.

We're only at WebCTRL 4.1 "Service Pack 1B", but I just RDPed into the server and sure enough there was ViewBuilder for WAP.

That would be pretty cool if they went to an HTML5 based platform. Probably a smart business move on their part too, considering HTML5's supposed wide adoption across platforms.

I'm still new to the BMS world and learning a lot. On our ALC system, I'd like to transition the data trending over to SQL Server and auto-archive it, instead of deleting older data like it currently does. I don't want to mess up what already working though....

I wrote some cool software for one of our other facilities to do analysis of the AX trended data (from SQL Server) against power consumption usage from our Siemens WinPM system (on a different SQL Server). I'd love to be able to do the same for our facility with the ALC system, but the trend data just isn't there with our current setup.

Quote Originally Posted by blabath View Post
    The short answer is NO, you cannot access WebCtrl. I can hit the server with my Iphone4 and Log in, then some text does come up. But text only, no values, which makes it worthless. I tried it on an IPad with the same results.
    This is actually incorrect. The short answer is YES.

You can access the system information using the same IP address or URL you would normally use from a laptop or desktop browser.

As someone else mentioned the resulting pages on your phone's browser will be formatted specifically for mobile browsers. Therefore, you will not see all the pretty colors and images you might normally see on a full browser. You will see values albeit values that will need to be refreshed if you care to see the latest readings.

In my experience this worked great for me as a Commissioning Tech because I could setup my laptop with the WebCTRL server running and an aircard connecting my laptop to the Internet. I would then key in my aircard's current IP address and proceed to walk to the other side of the building or campus and once in front of a unit or VAV box, I could then turn outputs on and off and verify temperatures and other readings using my mobile browser.

I did this mid-2010 and was using an HTC Windows Mobile OS Phone with Sprint service. All things are possible, if you can figure out how to link all the various protocols, media, connections, etc.

As pointed out, The short answer is indeed yes. I was trying to access the same districts Alerton system via Niagara AX. The WebCtrl site (only 6 IP addressses different) does come up in text format and I can view values and alarms. I imagine I can even change setpoints but I haven't tried yet.

I apologize for the misinformation. Thanks to TCF for straightening me out.